Diving 3/27 & 28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

netmage

Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Returned from my first trip to the Bonne Terre Mine last weekend and Its kicked my nitrogen craving into overdrive. Much to my surprise CrazyDave and Panzer70 happened to be in attendence. I definately got to do that again in a few months...! :bounce:
Its been a long 4 months since my thanksgiving trip to Islamorada and I'm ready to get wet.. :)

Now the only decision, Haigh or Gilboa....?

Weather at Gilboa looks a little chillier and wet. Haigh looks warmer and dry... Either way I'm looking forward to 30-40ft viz while I can get it!

So far it's a no brainer... just wonder if I can get my brother to drive in from Michigan.

Anyone else heading out this weekend?

this was a fun weekend... i would recommendtoanyone deciding to dive at the bonn terre mine to have at least 20 to 30 dives under your weightbelt before you go... I only had 4 (or 8 if you count my OW cert dives) and eventhough I made it through the weekend dive #2 made me a little nervous... all in all it was an interesting spot to dive and I look forward to going again
Panzer70
aka
Tom

Bonn Terre Mine is an UW cave, no? They don't require AOW to dive in the overhead environment? It would be interesting to see a dive report.

Hantzu

hantzu701:
Bonn Terre Mine is an UW cave, no? They don't require AOW to dive in the overhead environment? It would be interesting to see a dive report.

Hantzu

Bonne Terre is a mine - It is partially flooded. When you go, you go as part of a guided trip. No (sizable) lights/knives allowed by guest divers. (small safety lights are permitted). Each dive is essentially a guided tour on a preset trail. Each diver must follow the natural progression..., i.e. take the trails in order (or repeat if you wish). You have a dive master leading, and another acting as a safety diver keeping up the rear. On the first dive, you perform a mask clearing and share-air drill.

90% of the dive is conducted in a non-overhead enviroment, portions which are not flooded and you have a direct ascent to the surface and another 60-70ft of air to the ceiling. There are a number of overhead/cavern/swim-through situations they take you on. As you progress through the trails - they become more challenging. I'm under the impression there are portions which definately classify as cave, i.e. not a swimthrough and a dead-end passages.

It's fairly expensive compared to the quarry. Two things I'd change: 1> Stick w/ the 80cu tank vs 92, 2> rent my weights. I was diving wet in my 7mm and it was a #$%#! hiking out w/ the 30lbs of lead.

I definately plan on doing it again this season. If you wanna get a group together setup a trip - I'm in (even if I repeat trails 1-4)...!

Panzer70:
this was a fun weekend... i would recommendtoanyone deciding to dive at the bonn terre mine to have at least 20 to 30 dives under your weightbelt before you go... I only had 4 (or 8 if you count my OW cert dives) and eventhough I made it through the weekend dive #2 made me a little nervous... all in all it was an interesting spot to dive and I look forward to going again
Panzer70
aka
Tom

Believe it or not, that's where I got my OW dives in :) I loved it though, my instructor and I had a safety diver (all trails, guides, groups must have at least one), so after I ran through my drills, we got to explore a little. It was intimidating, but also so amazing you forget about it quick. We did some exploring as a trio, and also caught on to the end of groups going past, so I got a good look at the mine.

There is some overhead in the mine (of course), and some of the trails go through it. I swam through an arch, yes, overhead, but I could see open water above both sides. I got to know our safety diver pretty well, and with my instructor, two other safety divers, and the guide, I felt pretty comfortable under there. I can't wait to go back, but I don't know if I would visit the chapel (overhead with explore to limit of entrance visible), or the 45 degree shaft ascent yet. It's nice, they can lead you around an experience like that if you want to bypass, or you can take another trail with a different group.

Just my two cents :)

I am working the SVSU dive show this weekend. I would love to hook up with some of you at Haigh. I have never dove there and I hear that the drive isn't too bad.

Laser:
I'm game for this Sunday 4/4 if your interested.

Ok, sunday is good for me as well. If everything goes well I'll be in Lake Michigan off Milwaukee on Saturday.

What time do you plan on arriving...? I'm free all day.

Sounds like DiverBrian is going to stop by well.

I drive a Blue 2DR Explorer Sport, IL tags.

-netmage

Are you guys talking about diving @ Haigh this Sunday? If so, I'm game. Is 10am too early?

Hantzu

netmage:
Ok, sunday is good for me as well. If everything goes well I'll be in Lake Michigan off Milwaukee on Saturday.

What time do you plan on arriving...? I'm free all day.

Sounds like DiverBrian is going to stop by well.

I drive a Blue 2DR Explorer Sport, IL tags.

-netmage

I have to work :11: all weekend. I just found out today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom