DIY Seam Tape?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steiner

New
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed already, I searched to no avail.

I am interested in sewing a drysuit pocket, kevlar kneepads and suspenders to my drysuit with my industrial sewing machine. After sewing the items on, I obviously need to tape the seams to prevent leaking.

I searched the internet for heat sealing tape, and can't find any. My question is what brand/model of tape do drysuit manufacturers use and is the installation of this tape suitable for DIY, or do you need some fancy machine? If so, is there any other alternate to sealing stitch holes?

USIA insisted that the items be sewed on because if they are glued, the drysuit could delaminate from pressure on the outside layer only.

Has anyone done this?

Sounds a little nutty to me. Maybe if there was some counter force on the inside layer, so the fabric was being torn in two different directions, but the inside layer is free to follow the outside layer, so unless they are using trying to hint to you that they use really lousy trilam, not sure how it could be a prob. I could see maybe - just barely maybe - worrying about suspenders, which put a lot of force in one spot, but knee pads? Come on.

And then a lot of other suit manufacturers seem to have no problem with gluing things on rather than sewing.

Personally, I don't like to put a hole in a drysuit unless its absolutely necessary, and would rather have to reglue a peeling edge from time to time than try to keep a lot of stitch holes sealed.

If you still want tape, do a search for Melco. It's a heat sealed nylon/polyester laminate, can be applied with a heat gun or iron, and very forgiving and easy to work with, and terrific holding power.

steiner:
USIA insisted that the items be sewed on because if they are glued, the drysuit could delaminate from pressure on the outside layer only.

Has anyone done this?

For stuff like that, I use Aquaseal (It's a diver's best friend up here in B.C. - I don't know if they have it where you are.) or Marine Goop (there are all kinds of Goop, automotive, household, etc. You have to use the Marine type.). Both are a flexible, waterproof sealant. Of course you may be familiar with the stuff. I asked at a dive shop about the tape a while ago and there is the heat sealing kind (but they wouldn't sell me any. maybe yours would) and another kind (Viking, I think) that you stick down with a two-part glue. A small can of this glue cost something like 60 dollars so I said no thank you.

steiner:
I am interested in sewing a drysuit pocket, kevlar kneepads and suspenders to my drysuit with my industrial sewing machine. After sewing the items on, I obviously need to tape the seams to prevent leaking.
I think I'd glue em on any way myself. IS it a tri-lam or bi-lam suit. All the one's I've seen are bi-lam, nylon outer iwth urethane inner layer. I can't imagine being able to delaminate a bi-lam shell by tugging on a pocket or knee pad.
Look in the Gear Equipment forum (I think under commercial) for Bob3, or just PM him. I think I saw him with sealing tape listed.

May I ask What size needles and thread you are using to sew this kind of stuff. I've been looking for data on this for a while and can't find anything.

I have some old farmer johns that are too big and was going to install a zipper up each leg, and let the extra neo underlap the zipper. once the cut is made i would just fold it over itself, mark it, and sew a zipper up the length...

Thanks,

Rick

I just installed pockets on my nex-gen suit. I just glued them with viking glue. I'd never try stitching a suit unless absolutely required. Look into other options first.

Pockets and knee pads can definitely be glued on. As for suspenders, not sure exaclty the best way to fasten. Good luck.

Sideshow Rick:
I have some old farmer johns that are too big and was going to install a zipper up each leg, and let the extra neo underlap the zipper. once the cut is made i would just fold it over itself, mark it, and sew a zipper up the length...
I'd agree with bcsean about not attempting to sew a drysuit. I have sewn on several wetsuits. I used nylon upholstery thread and heavy needles. For sewing machine I had best results with a 'leather' needle.
I installed a zipper in a 6.5mm Body glove suit. to fit my tall skinny teenager whose 1 piece suit fit great, except the legs were 4" too short. I extended them and installed a zipper to get his big feet through the ankles. I acutally cut about 3" off the bottom of the legs, then sewed on a 7" piece with the zipper in it.
I would not attempt to fold back the neoprene. Just cut it to where you want the zipper. If you want to dress the edge, cover it with some nylon cloth rolled over the edge.

steiner:
Sorry if this has been discussed already, I searched to no avail.

I searched the internet for heat sealing tape, and can't find any. My question is what brand/model of tape do drysuit manufacturers use and is the installation of this tape suitable for DIY, or do you need some fancy machine? If so, is there any other alternate to sealing stitch holes?

Has anyone done this?
I have never seen any tape in the USA but UK most dive stores carry tape to overlap or cover seals and any other areasmost northern diver dry suits are taped inside the suit, try a search for seam tape in the UK
http://www.amronintl.com/safety/products.cfm?id=23
http://www.seamtape.com/st_drysuit.htm
These are what I found on line they seem to be USA companys

The Melco tape is pretty neat stuff, stretches & even goes around corners. It can be heat applied for the brave (get some practice in first) or applied with glue.
If you run across the stuff, expect to shell out over a buck or two per foot unless ya want to spring for a 100'roll.
I've had good luck using the buck a yard bias tape from the parachute loft. That needs gluing too.
I'd be verrrry careful about punching dozens of little holes in a suit; every hole is a potential spot to not only leak, but if you soak a little oil in, your laminated suit may start to disintegrate from the inside out. Even the little oil film from a boat exhaust can be enough to start the mischief.

Groundhog246:
I'd agree with bcsean about not attempting to sew a drysuit. I have sewn on several wetsuits. I used nylon upholstery thread and heavy needles. For sewing machine I had best results with a 'leather' needle.

I can only find as heavy as #18 needles locally but have a contact next week with someone for some info. i can use larger but not sure if it's necessary; only one way to find out...

found others looking for this kinda info...

http://www.qajaqusa.org/cgi-bin/GreenlandTechniqueForum_config.pl/noframes/read/257

I've never done it, but it does seem like edge glue and tape would be a good way as there's no way my machines will reach inside for some of these seams.

Back
Top Bottom