Grouper Attacks Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fergyjohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
G'day all,
Collected my morning newspaper and the headline read Grouper attacks Yongala diver.
Apparently a Swedish backpacker was hanging off the 5m safety line when the 2m groper put his mouth over the divers head, he said later he thought it was a shark until it released him and he saw what it was.

This is my favourite dive site and I dive the wreck regularly and I know the resident Groupers and this just seems out of character for them, the are usually docile friendly creatures.
The diver ended up with a few minor scratches around his neck.
The newspaper went on to say that another diver (Instructer) went into the water about 5 minutes later and the grouper had a go at him, he said he fended it off with his fins.
Interesting to see what developes, hope they don't go and do anything stupid and have an almighty kneejerk reaction......

Only the good Dive young...

hmmmm hope this doesnt sound stupid....but what's a groper? Havent seen of heard of a groper before (except the human type) :D

Maybe fergyjohn means Grouper? :)

Did any of you read that article a few months back, about this sea turtle in Florida that was, ah, harrassing divers?

A diver got a bite on the head from a 2m grouper?
Amazing. Was the fish hungry or angry?
I was attacked once by a 40cm triggerfish and it was a very scary situation. Probably I'd die if such a huge fish attacks me.

Vicky

Triggerfish tend to have a bit of a turn once a year when they're "in season!"

If women can have an excuse to bite heads off once a month I think the fish only getting to do it once a year is fair enough! :wink:

Groper, grouper, garoupa... it depends where you are.

Alternative definition: a big fish that disappears as soon as my buddy points at it, so I end up staring at nothing. Except occasionally she swears it was bumphead parrotfish. They all look like empty ocean to me :confused:

Zept

To All,
Some large Groupers can be quite territorial. At times they are docile, and then there are the times when they want their space. I'm not afraid of them, but I do give them all the room they need. Just a personal preference on my part, wild animals are wild animals and they are unpredictable. :tree:Bob

hence selective reading - only saw groper instead of grouper - i wonder why??

Bob - yup u are rite, esp when u get too close to them for comfort. This happened to a friend who was exploring a mini cave and came face-to-face with a huge groper - oops i mean grouper :wink: and this "gentle" guy eyeballed him real hard, backing him out of the cave, outta his space. You'd be surprised, sometimes when i see a fish that is really intriguing and follow real closely, the way it stares at me can be quite frightening, even if it's just a gentle creature.

Back
Top Bottom