Nikonos Gone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey

Omniheurist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was thinking about buying a Nikonos camera, but the Nikon dealer said they weren't being made any longer.

Does anybody know if this is true?

I see them all over the web, so it seems a little strange.

Also, does anybody have any other recommendations for good UW cameras?

I've got a little Aquashot that takes terrible pictures (not enoug light, cheap lens), and a Ikelite case for my Nikon FM (great pictures, but too big and clunky.

Any suggestions?

Terry

Nikon no longer makes the Nikonos V, and does not have a replacement UW camera on the drawing board. New parts are no longer being made either, however parts will still be supplied until stocks are exhausted.

Part of the reason I sold mine.

Any other suggestions for a good, small, UW camera (pref film, but digital OK?

Terry

Scubaroo:
Nikon no longer makes the Nikonos V, and does not have a replacement UW camera on the drawing board. New parts are no longer being made either, however parts will still be supplied until stocks are exhausted.

Part of the reason I sold mine.

S&S has their new MotorMarine III. That's your best choice for a new UW dedicated camera.

Actually I believe that Nikon stopped making the Nikonos V in 1993. It's replacement was the RS that was in the $6000 range. I bought my wife a Next-to-new V last Xmas for about $350 with a brand new SB-105 strobe for about the same. Check eBay and go with the Nikon is my recommendation!
TEdJ

Is anyone planning an aftermarket digital mod for the NIkonos? It would be nice to have the best of both worlds, the superior optics of the Nikonos and the convenience of digital.
swankenstein:
I don't think you'll find an amphibious film camera (eg. not in a housing) on the market today that comes anywhere near the quality and lens sharpness of the Nikonos family.

There are still new Nikonos cameras on the shelves at dealers. The same applies for parts. There are enough Nikonos cameras in use around the world that you shouldn't have a problem getting parts. Nikonos cameras are very durable. I have seen one case where the camera flooded but the owner was quick to rinse the camera with fresh water. Later that day he was using the camera in M90 mode.

I regret trading my Nikonos in. Today I use an Aquatica housing for the Niknon 8008 film camera. I like the reflex viewing and macro lenses but the system is big! You still cannot beat the optical quality of the Nikonos 15 and 20mm lenses. It is an excellent system and a good one to learn on.

Sea & Sea's new motormarine III looks very nice but the camera is overpriced and already outdated by digital systems. For $900 you could get a slightly used but serviced (pressure tested) Nikonos V body, a good condition 20mm lens and for maybe a little more you can get a decent strobe. On the other hand, a 2nd hand Motormarine II or MX10 is also a great way to start. There are plenty of the on Ebay.

With the rapid performance changes you're seeing in digital cameras, I doubt prudent businesses would feel a need to create a digital, high performance amphibious camera. It's just too easy to make UW housings (sometimes of exceptional quality) for "normal" cameras. True underwater cameras are a niche market anyway.
If manufacturing for one WAS enabled, it would be likely that the camera body would be conservatively designed and somewhat modular, to allow performance upgrades. A lot of digital cameras already fall under this design process (various "series").

The true future of underwater photography will probably lie in advanced housings that permit one to semi-permanently stuff their normal camera into, but allow external battery charging and data linking. Just think how exquisite THAT would be!

I second Deserteagle if you want film. I got a nik v, 20mm, 28mm and 35mm lens all the extension & tubes framers, tray arms and a sea & sea ys60 strobe tons of accessary's for $1000. As has been said there are lots of new cameras and parts on the market, I was told at my local camera store " enough parts for at least 10 years"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom