Lets try to stay focused people...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tractor Tom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
...the first of April is this week. That means the First Annual Great Lakes Wrecking Crew Spring Dive, Meet and Greet (FAGLWCSDMG) is only a few weeks away.

Some of us from the Central Michigan area had a little 'pre-meeting meeting' at the Black Forest Brewery in Frankenmuth last Saturday evening. Several pitchers of Oat Stout were consumed, along with a really excellent pizza and lies were swapped for several hours. If that was any indication of the good times we will be having at Gilboa, I really can't wait to get there.

We are all hoping that the weather cooperates for our trip with warm weather and clear skys, so lets all concentrate on getting the weather to cooperate.

Current plans are for a night dive on Friday, for all of you who can arrive early, followed by campfire stories of who has survived the biggest mistake in the water and some excellent Maple Porter from Black Forest Brewing. Plans for the rest of the weekend are still in the planning stages.

I'm planning on bringing along some "swap meet" items that I have been accumulating. Including a cold water hood (size S-M) and some 3 finger mitts (size M) and an Aqua Lung LPO Octo that I no longer use. If some of you have parts to trade or sell, bring them along and we'll throw it all on a table together and see who wants them.

Would someone be willing to bring some of those "Hello my name is _______" badges we can use???? Would be nice to know who you are talking to when you first meet. I'll have a clipboard there to sign in, so we have a record of who attended this first GLWC event.

Any other ideas for the meeting should be posted here, or sent to me in a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Hope to see all your smiling faces there on the 16-18th! :wink:

I can't stay focused I havent dove since Janurary 9th. April 16th seems like forever away yet. I might be able to get some of those hello my Name is _____ tags I dont live to far from places that might sell them.

Hi Tom.

I won't be able to make it unless my previous plans on Saturday end early. If that happens I'll try to get there in time for the evening festivities. & hopefully someone will be up for more diving on Sunday.

However, I do organize this type of gathering for my club all the time. So here are a few thoughts....

o Sign or banner to help identify where the group is.
o Perhaps organizing extra tent / camper space
o Potluck dinner for Saturday evening.
o &/or maincourse supplied by someone / reimbursed by attendees
o Group hot water / tea / hot chocolate given what the water temps will be
o Does anyone have a tent / pavillion / tarps to work as wind breaks for hanging out &/or changing other than when a fire is going?

Just a few thoughts. Perhaps overboard given I'm used to dealing with a long established club.

Paula

diver_paula:
Hi Tom.

I won't be able to make it unless my previous plans on Saturday end early. If that happens I'll try to get there in time for the evening festivities. & hopefully someone will be up for more diving on Sunday.

However, I do organize this type of gathering for my club all the time. So here are a few thoughts....

o Does anyone have a tent / pavillion / tarps to work as wind breaks for hanging out &/or changing other than when a fire is going?

Just a few thoughts. Perhaps overboard given I'm used to dealing with a long established club.

Paula

The only thing on your list that I don't see covered is the food for Saturday night and I am willing to bet that Tom has that covered (judging by the cooking from the last time that I stayed at Gilboa as a member his party :) ). I know that we have a 22 ft. and a 26 ft. trailer coming (Thanks Tom and Ted). I would imagine that other people interested in consuming "adult beverages" will have drivers or be spending the night. I prefer spending the night scenario as swapping sea stories around the campfire is part of the deal.

Last, but not least: I WILL BE DIVING ON SUNDAY! Anybody willing to buddy up with me is welcome. I am looking to be able to have as many members of this group as possible be able to say that they dove with me and have all of the telling the truth :). I am looking forward to meeting everyone that shows up!

diver_paula:
Hi Tom.

Paula

Paula,

I have the sign/banner covered. I will be making up a sign or two for the event. We have two 5th wheel trailers (Ted's is quite large) with roll out awnings for protection from the elements, and those can be used for changing if the weather is bad. I have no real solution to hot water/coffee, other than a coleman stove, as there is no power available down at the camp sites that we will be using. A large coffee pot sitting near the fire, with hot water may be enough, but I really don't have anything that large. Tarps for windbreaks is not a problem either, as anyone who camps carries a couple, I'll have to pick up a little rope is all. There are plenty of trees around to tie off too.
Dave is organizing food for our part of the trip, so he may have something in mind. I'm all out of venision for my world famous venison chili so I won't be bringing a pot. I was thinking of maybe bringing a large pot of beef barley soup from our kitchen and keeping it on the side of the fire. That would provide something hot for the chilled divers. Let me talk to Dave and see what he thinks. As for a potluck, I'm open for suggestions. We could do hotdogs and hamburgers and stuff easilly enough, just need to know how much to bring, and ask for a 'donation' to cover the cost of same.

Thanks for you ideas, I'm thinking we'll be there to dive on Sunday too, depending on how stirred up the water is. Hope to see you.

frankenmuth_tom:
Paula,

I have the sign/banner covered. I will be making up a sign or two for the event. We have two 5th wheel trailers (Ted's is quite large) with roll out awnings for protection from the elements, and those can be used for changing if the weather is bad. I have no real solution to hot water/coffee, other than a coleman stove, as there is no power available down at the camp sites that we will be using. A large coffee pot sitting near the fire, with hot water may be enough, but I really don't have anything that large. Tarps for windbreaks is not a problem either, as anyone who camps carries a couple, I'll have to pick up a little rope is all. There are plenty of trees around to tie off too.
Dave is organizing food for our part of the trip, so he may have something in mind. I'm all out of venision for my world famous venison chili so I won't be bringing a pot. I was thinking of maybe bringing a large pot of beef barley soup from our kitchen and keeping it on the side of the fire. That would provide something hot for the chilled divers. Let me talk to Dave and see what he thinks. As for a potluck, I'm open for suggestions. We could do hotdogs and hamburgers and stuff easilly enough, just need to know how much to bring, and ask for a 'donation' to cover the cost of same.

Thanks for you ideas, I'm thinking we'll be there to dive on Sunday too, depending on how stirred up the water is. Hope to see you.

Tom, A buddy of mine has a small real quite honda generator he said I could borrow it. for that weekend. Might just be perfect for making a large pot of coffee. and recharging our batteries in our 5th wheels if we have to run the heat if the weather doesnt cooperate. As far as sleeping room I will have room as of right now all I have is Brian staying with me. I still have a fold out bed and lots of floor space left. for those that will want to partake in the evening activities and dont want to drive home. Bring your sleeping bag and favorite pillow and your teddy bear if you think you might want to stay. I plan on diving Sunday also. At least a morning dive any way.

gtxl1200:
Tom, A buddy of mine has a small real quite honda generator he said I could borrow it. for that weekend. Might just be perfect for making a large pot of coffee. and recharging our batteries in our 5th wheels if we have to run the heat if the weather doesnt cooperate. As far as sleeping room I will have room as of right now all I have is Brian staying with me. I still have a fold out bed and lots of floor space left. for those that will want to partake in the evening activities and dont want to drive home. Bring your sleeping bag and favorite pillow and your teddy bear if you think you might want to stay. I plan on diving Sunday also. At least a morning dive any way.

Is your buddy going to be angry with you when I steal his generator and take it home with me????

Seriously, the next thing we need then, is a large coffee pot (urn) to keep water hot for soup, chocolate, instant coffee or tea. I sure don't have anything like that.

I have my rig plugged in right now, charging the battery and hoping for good weather.

frankenmuth_tom:
Is your buddy going to be angry with you when I steal his generator and take it home with me????

Seriously, the next thing we need then, is a large coffee pot (urn) to keep water hot for soup, chocolate, instant coffee or tea. I sure don't have anything like that.

I have my rig plugged in right now, charging the battery and hoping for good weather.

I don't have the coffee pot. Could anyone use a crock pot for hot soup, though? It might be nice to have some hot soup constantly available to just dip into with a large spoon or something and have it all ready to go.

diverbrian:
I don't have the coffee pot. Could anyone use a crock pot for hot soup, though? It might be nice to have some hot soup constantly available to just dip into with a large spoon or something and have it all ready to go.

I'll be honest with you Brian, I was thinking about a large pot of beef barley soup that I could set on the campstove and keep warm that way, but a crockpot would work I am sure. Or even set it near the fire and warm it, like we did the chili last year (which got way too hot and burned onto the pot pretty good as I recall). I have most of the fixin's and would be very willing to make a pot up and bring it along. Dave and I are going to get together on Wednesday (next) for the Black Forest Beer Society meeting and discuss food and such.

Additionally, I have just received a note from Bob3 who is going to send along some Viking dryglove ring systems and some Smurf gloves for us to display at our 'swap and shop' table at the site. I'm really happy with my ring system and would be happy to show it off to others who may be inclined to try them.

I guess I need to post a new note, asking for volunteers and getting folks to bring some things to this little event, so the four of us aren't carrying the entire load. What is your feelings on that?

Dave is dealing with food, but we still haven't made a decision about a 'potluck' for Saturday pm.

Ted is providing sleeping places, and a generator and nametags.

I'm bringing signs, some food, and setting up a swap/equipment area and a place to sign-in. (Oh, lets not forget some great beer too)

You are responsible for the tee shirts and collecting money for them and the hats. (Oh and that case of Sam Adams...)

There is still plenty of things that need to be done....

diverbrian:
It might be nice to have some hot soup constantly available to just dip into with a large spoon or something and have it all ready to go.
You mean a ladle? And on those cold days...Chili is an excellent source of heat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom