Diving in Joliet, IL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tha Bizness:
Hey guys and gals... I was wondering if anybody has dove a quarry in Joliet, IL before. Right off of Brandon Road I think.

It's called Brandon Quarry. It's leased and managed by Visibility Unlimited, a dive shop in Orland Park. Because it is leased and not owned, very little development of the site has been done. There are no air fills on site. The changing rooms are in an old truck trailer.

The diving is okay and vis can be better than Haigh b/c Brandon doesn't get the OW student traffic that Haigh does. Brandon also has a sunken bus, two ambulances, and a few ?stolen cars.

For insurance reasons, an instructor must be present when divers are in the water, so the quarry isn't open on a regular basis. I've had police stop to check if we were trespassing, so I guess they see some "drive by" diving.

Hantzu

hantzu701:
It's called Brandon Quarry. It's leased and managed by Visibility Unlimited, a dive shop in Orland Park. Because it is leased and not owned, very little development of the site has been done. There are no air fills on site. The changing rooms are in an old truck trailer.

The diving is okay and vis can be better than Haigh b/c Brandon doesn't get the OW student traffic that Haigh does. Brandon also has a sunken bus, two ambulances, and a few ?stolen cars.

For insurance reasons, an instructor must be present when divers are in the water, so the quarry isn't open on a regular basis. I've had police stop to check if we were trespassing, so I guess they see some "drive by" diving.

Hantzu

Is there any contact info or do you just show up and hope an instructor is present?

I grew up in Joliet so I knew about the Quarry - I wouldn't be suprised about stolen cars in there <grin>

I am happy to hear its open for diving. My parents still live there so Im there everynow and then. I plan to be there over easter weekend.

Anybody have contact info? Anybody interested (if possible) to dive easter weekend?

hantzu701:

Hantzu

Backtanner:
Is there any contact info or do you just show up and hope an instructor is present?

Brandon doesn't have regular hours. Unlike Haigh, there is no one living on site. If anyone is thinking of "drive-by" diving, there is a clear line of sight from the road. Of the five times that I dived there last season, a squad car stopped twice and asked to speak to the instructor on site.

I have never seen the quarry open to general recreational divers. Because of the instructor requirement, I have only seen classes. Once the class is over, the instructor wants to go home and diving is over for the day.

If you know an instructor or are an instructor, you can dive there. I've heard that local dive clubs have organized dives there - eg. pumpkin carving. You can check with your LDS as well. If they are teaching classes there, you can probably get some dive time.

I have been told that water has been much lower this season. Max depth last season was is 60ft.

Visibility Unlimited can be reached @ 708-460-9515.

I think the Joilet Fire and Police Department use Brandon Quarry for their training as well.

I know it's been 4 years since the last post on this subject, but for anyone reading this it might be important.
I just called Vis. Unlimited at (708)460-9515 and was told Brandon Quarry is being filled...with dirt...agrrrr. No more diving there. Haigh is still open:).

Brandon road was never shy on character.

Between the transitional and slightly dangerous neighborhood it was located in, the I&M canal a block away, the power plant down the street, oil slicks from scuttled cars, and an occasional capsized and listing port-a-poty there was always something to experience there. Never keet me from diving it though. What the hell is the matter with me???

Back
Top Bottom