Manta Ray/Devil Ray ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neilstewart

Contributor
Reaction score
I saw Manta's in the Maldives, white underside very dark almost black topside all with mandibles open. In TCI I also saw what was described by the boat crew as a Manta. This animal had clear horns but was also coloured differently. More a sort of Chocolate brown topside and was somewhat smaller. Are they different species or possibly was it a juvenille?

Neil

There are 2 species of Mantaray´s and they do vary a bit in color. One can see the smaller of the two round the western side of the Canary Islands but the bigger one tends to like wamer waters.
Michael

Hi Neil

I've been wanting the answer to this question too for some time. About 6 months ago I was looking through a new fish book (gerald allen), and saw 2 pictures of what I though were mantas, but on reading the descriptions, one was a manta, and the other they called a devil ray, although from the photos, the differences were the size (mantas are bigger) length of the tails (long on mantas) and the colour (devils brownish topside). Oh and both species had totally different Latin names as well. Sorry, can't be more informative, I took the book down to my cousin's on a dive trip, and she's holding it ransom until I return all her Terry Pratchett books....

I forgot to mention, I was even more confused when National Geographic the other day. They were filming a Spotted Eagle Ray (I think) and the narrator called that a Devil Ray....

Slightly off the subject, a few months back, there was an incident in Samui where a tourist was found dead on the beach, apparently having bled to death after being bitten on the thigh by a "bullfish" (as called in the newspapers). For ages everyone was asking, what the hell is a bullfish? We've since found out that this is the literal translation of the Thai name for a triggerfish. But what actually happened was that they guy had stumbled into the sea while drunk, and cut himself on a rock.

Hi Sea Suqirt

That sounds like a real slip up by Nat Geo. I also saw Spotted Eagle Rays in TCI sometimes in formations of 7 animals. I have a really good shot of one that our DM took. I think they are in my top three of creatures I have so far seen underwater. I'll send it over to sis as it's a big file and I have Alison's address. Hope you enjoy it.

LOL killer Triggers of Samui - Is this a story line for Speilberg, no just the evils of drink, shame that have would be an original way to go for the poor guy.

Neil

Neil

That pic is GORGEOUS! Spt E. Rays have been high on my wish list since the first time I saw one on TV about 4 years ago. I was totally in awe of its natural design perfections and beauty.

Jealous! but thanks for sharing.:)

I thought Devil Ray was a generalisation/nickname for most rays - I read somewhere that in the old days sailors used to be terrified when seeing rays come flying out of the water - hence the Devil title.

and as for Neil - would you please STOP with the torture... ;-0 SEVEN spotted eagle rays in formation??? Grrrr.... You really enjoy this, don't you? I think I'm definitely going to have to join you your Similan trip this year - you seem to attract large numbers of large marine life! When EXACTLY are you getting to Phuket?? :lol:

I am still captivated by that gorgeous SER pic... :amazed:

Hi Neil

Just to add to the confusion, someone on Discovery just called a manta a "Sea Devil" - now that's one I haven't heard of before.

It is common for rays (esp Southern Stingrays) to be different colors based on the color of the bottom in the area where they live. Dark bottom= darker coloration. That may be part of the difference.

Back
Top Bottom