Great Lakes Diving License Fee...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tractor Tom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Local news here reports that in a attempt to generate additional tax revenue, the Governer of Michigan, Jennifer Grandholm and the head of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources have agreed that a "token" or tag will be necessary to dive the inland and Great Lakes waters of Michigan. Tags will be issued at Sporting License Dealers and on line on the DNR website.

I checked the website and no license appears for diving, but I assume that it will be reflected there very soon. The report that I heard mentioned $10 per year, and each diver will be required to display a plastic 'token' on his rig while diving in Michigan's waters, much like is used in the Tobermory to dive the Niagara II.

More on this issue as it becomes available. :wink:

frankenmuth_tom:
Local news here reports that in a attempt to generate additional tax revenue, the Governer of Michigan, Jennifer Grandholm and the head of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources have agreed that a "token" or tag will be necessary to dive the inland and Great Lakes waters of Michigan. Tags will be issued at Sporting License Dealers and on line on the DNR website.

I checked the website and no license appears for diving, but I assume that it will be reflected there very soon. The report that I heard mentioned $10 per year, and each diver will be required to display a plastic 'token' on his rig while diving in Michigan's waters, much like is used in the Tobermory to dive the Niagara II.

It's not bad enough that Lansing is talking about making us property taxes six months early. Oh well, it's only ten bucks a year and I am sure that the ticket would be more than ten clams. :eyebrow:

frankenmuth_tom:

That's horrible in my book. I don't equate it with a fishing liscense. We're not * taking * anything from the waters ( usually ). It doesn't seem to have any other purpose but to raise money. Wonder how much the fine will be. Next will be a tax on the feet in depth......" sir let me see your depth gauge please....hmmm 72ffw...that will be $7.20 please."

... the message originated 1 April...FOOLS! :11ztongue

frankenmuth_tom:
Nicely done Tom...........very nicely done. I guess you guys will be able to stop researching the fines and start concentrating on the first GLWC get together.

That was a first class gotcha!

Mitten Diver

frankenmuth_tom:

Zzzzzzzzinnnngggah! Nice one Tom! Almost not fair though since in todays Michigan economy, something like this has a very reasonable chance of happening IMO.

I just hope no one from Jennys camp reads this board! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom