Wolf Rock Dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElmDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

As per earlier threads...I missed out on Manta Ray Bommie but got in touch with Kev and Cheryl at Wolf Rock Dive Centre and did two dives on Wolf Rock off the Rainbow Beach coast. The Rock is made up of 5 or 6 pinnacles, two of which break the surface. The maximum depth is around 40m - 50m but for our shark hunt we only went down to about thirty. Wolf Rock is the home to a group of large (2.5m-3m) Grey Nurse Sharks critically endangered in Oz and I have to say they were wonderous beasts. We followed Kev (amzingly knowledgable and highly amusing) to a place called the pit and hung there while 6 large sharks slowly cruised by us 2m away. The visibility wasn't great but I believe that it simply added to the eeriness of the whole encounter. The life at the site was amazing - saw a manta ray, large pipefish, kingfish, lions, stonefish, tiny morays, great cleaning stations. The second dive also yielded some Grey Nurses. I recommend this site to anyone travelling up the east coast and although I didn't get to dive on Manta Ray Bommie I got to see one here aswell as a group of breathtaking sharks.

All the best,

ElmDiver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom