What about a meet & greet at Haigh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juls64

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just an idea. My problem with Gilboa is its hard for me to leave teenagers and pets overnight. Would there be enough interest to do another Meet & Greet somewhere closer? Haigh is just an idea.

Julie

As that is sort of the purpose of this section of the board, I hear this sonorous voice saying...

"If your post it... they will dive...."

I am free for May and late April weekends so far, so I could slip down there for a day.

Juls64:
Just an idea. My problem with Gilboa is its hard for me to leave teenagers and pets overnight. Would there be enough interest to do another Meet & Greet somewhere closer? Haigh is just an idea.

Julie
I understand exactly what you're talking about - our group covers a BIG geographical area. I'd love to visit Gilboa again, but it's a five+ hour drive one-way for a quarry dive. Ack. Maybe next time?

A gathering at Haigh sounds like a great idea, since it's only about 45 minutes away from me. You wanna be in charge of making it happen? Pick a weekend and let's go!

Hi there..

Don't mean to hijack the thread.. but you mentioned something I have been wondering about. Are there ever get together's where non-diving family is welcome? (kids particularly).

Not asking for babysitters... hubby and I could trade off water time, but it certainly makes it easier if we don't have to find childcare all the time (particularly with a special needs child... hard to find someone that is up for the job!).

Thanks

AmyJ:
Hi there..

Don't mean to hijack the thread.. but you mentioned something I have been wondering about. Are there ever get together's where non-diving family is welcome? (kids particularly).

Not asking for babysitters... hubby and I could trade off water time, but it certainly makes it easier if we don't have to find childcare all the time (particularly with a special needs child... hard to find someone that is up for the job!).

Thanks

I would think non-diving family members are always welcome. The problem with Gilboa wrt non-divers is that swimming / snorkelling is not allowed.

There are other quarries more suitable for non-divers. In Northwestern Ohio White Star Quarry and Portage Quarry both have designated swimming areas, picnic tables and playground equipment. & both have camping areas.

Paula

edited 'cause I was directionally challenged earlier.

diver_paula:
I would think non-diving family members are always welcome. The problem with Gilboa wrt non-divers is that swimming / snorkelling is not allowed.

There are other quarries more suitable for non-divers. In Northeastern Ohio White Star Quarry and Portage Quarry both have designated swimming areas, picnic tables and playground equipment. & both have camping areas.

Paula
That is good to know. Being new divers that have NEVER dove in anything less than the tropics (brrr...) not sure I even want to. But, on the other hand, we are really looking forward to getting to know you all and hang out a bit...so .....Good info. Thank you very much!

AmyJ:
That is good to know. Being new divers that have NEVER dove in anything less than the tropics (brrr...) not sure I even want to. But, on the other hand, we are really looking forward to getting to know you all and hang out a bit...so .....Good info. Thank you very much!

Amy,

We need to get you kids outfitted for cold water diving. You just miss so darn much by only diving in the warm water! I have dived 150 year old wooden boat wrecks in Northern Lake Huron, that are still intact and in excellent shape. You just don't find that in warm or sea water!

I'll bend you ear at Gilboa and maybe we can get you to try the cold water.

DRYSUITS RULE!!!!

Meet & Greet 2 should be later in the season so non-dysuit or newer divers can dive comfortably. A 7mm in Haigh is fine later in the season.

I hope I don't get in trouble for this but,
if we wait til Aug or so, we could go to Pearl Lake. By then the vis is usually pretty good and they allow camping and have thong beach, I mean the swimming area. They also have the bar/restaurant.

Hmmm... haven't been to either Haigh or Pearl Lake given I live in Michigan. But, I just did a search for Pearl Lake and it appears to be fairly close to my two sisters' homes. Looks like a new place to check out.

As for when to hold Meet & Greet 2 - I'd go with the consensus of those that can't make it to Gilboa because of distance.

Paula

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom