"Name Tagging" my wreck reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
I just had a thought about a simple modification to my wreck reel and wanted to see what the rest of you thought.

My thought was to add a small "tag" to the end of my reel where I loop/tie it off to the outside of the wreck with my last name on it. This way, if another diver happens on my line after I've penetrated inside, they will see that the line leads to me.

Whatchyall think?

Certainly. It's pretty much like what we do with unique line arrows and clothespins in caving.
Rick

that using a PST hp steel tag, that I can further reduce my overall bouyancy and I don't need to put line on the reel at all... No really, it'll sink all by it's self then! If you don't believe me just try it once.

Actually, I used a set of letter punches to "engrave" my SEAL reel.

Hey-o TM;

That concept was actually recommended on my PADI wreck cert course.

They recommended Name of divers, time and date in, line length of reel.

That may be excessive for the PADI restrictions but I think that the idea is good. Especially on a popular wreck with multiple dive boats on it.

I like it.
Works for me.

Mike

On the Dive-Rite reels, you simply burn a series of dots tracing your name into the reel. Less entanglement and permanent. That's what I do to all my reels

Originally posted by Divesherpa
On the Dive-Rite reels, you simply burn a series of dots tracing your name into the reel.
Problem is, the reel is with you inside the wreck. TM's talking about leaving something at the tie-off to identify who's at the other end of the line (holding the reel).

Roak

Originally posted by roakey

Problem is, the reel is with you inside the wreck. TM's talking about leaving something at the tie-off to identify who's at the other end of the line (holding the reel).

Roak

Nah... Sherp does things the non-uniform way... he leaves the reel outside and pulls the line in with him....

Just Kidding Sherp
:p

I'm not supposed to do it that way, Uncle Pug. Two hard yanks and the guy on the boat reels me up like a fish!

I like the idea of marking length and time entered. Can anyone recommend a pen/marker that works underwater that can be erased afterwards?

Or is the standard #2 putt-putt golf pencil used on most slates enough?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom