Ocean Edge computer repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tam

Reaction score
I am looking for someone who repairs Ocean Edge Computek II dive computers. My husband and I each have one and they are both on the blink and I understand that Ocean Edge is "no more". We really like the computers and would like to have them fixed instead of buying new ones. Might not have much of a choice though.

Thanks much !!!

Well I wish you luck. I was the electronic designer at Ocean Edge. The Computek II was really just the Tekna Computek with some software changes and a few hardware fixes. What is wrong with your unit? I'll tell you if it can be repaired or not. If the depth indication is not working I'm sorry to say the gauge can't be fixed. Without the specific software we used to update the chip inside nobody could ever get it accurate again. If the display is partially missing you might fix it, but it would involve taking the unit apart. As you can see it wasn't designed to allow this. I've seen people modify the case to use screws to hold the lens on but be careful and test it with air pressure for leaks! I know how to do this but take it to a dive shop or someone with a pressure tank. This is a dangerous procedure if not done correctly. Sealing against leaks was the biggest problem with that design.

tam:
I am looking for someone who repairs Ocean Edge Computek II dive computers. My husband and I each have one and they are both on the blink and I understand that Ocean Edge is "no more". We really like the computers and would like to have them fixed instead of buying new ones. Might not have much of a choice though.

Thanks much !!!

Toster,

Thanks for the response. Yes...It has been very difficult (impossible actually) to find anyone to work on these computers. We finally bought new ones for our trip to Cozumel in March. I'm not sure what the problem really "was". We first thought it was the battery. As you know, it took the battery with the triangle hole in the positive end of the battery. I'm not sure what difference the hole made, but it had to be there for the computer to work. Anyway...we couldn't find that type battery anymore. We tried other batteries and they did the same thing. The computer would come up and then go right back off. We messed with it a few days and even took it to our local dive shop and still could not get them to work. Then...(being the brilliant one that I am), I saw the little hole on the back of the computer. I took a pen and punched it into the hole. The computer came up and started flashing like normal. I thought it must have been some kind of reset button. We took the computers to Cozumel with us just to see if they would work once they were hooked up to air and started diving. The only thing that would work was the air pressure and temperature. The rest of the computer flashed 8's. I was told later that the hole that I punched was the depth indicator. I probably ruined it totally, but we couldn't get them to work anyway.

What is your feeling ?? We have new computers, but if these could be fixed for a reasonable price, it never hurt to have 2 computers.

Thanks again for your input.

Tam

Yes, unfortunately you should never pop things into holes you don't know about :)

That was the pressure sensor and it's now broken. You won't be able to fix the Computek. It can't be done without recalibrating a new pressure sensor.

As far as the battery, the Computek takes a 2/3A size battery you can get at any camera store and even RadioShack. Any 2/3A will work, it doesn't need the little triangle. Period.

As for the original problem, if there is no air pressure hooked up the Computek shut's off right away to save the battery. Too late now though.

tam:
Toster,

Thanks for the response. Yes...It has been very difficult (impossible actually) to find anyone to work on these computers. We finally bought new ones for our trip to Cozumel in March. I'm not sure what the problem really "was". We first thought it was the battery. As you know, it took the battery with the triangle hole in the positive end of the battery. I'm not sure what difference the hole made, but it had to be there for the computer to work. Anyway...we couldn't find that type battery anymore. We tried other batteries and they did the same thing. The computer would come up and then go right back off. We messed with it a few days and even took it to our local dive shop and still could not get them to work. Then...(being the brilliant one that I am), I saw the little hole on the back of the computer. I took a pen and punched it into the hole. The computer came up and started flashing like normal. I thought it must have been some kind of reset button. We took the computers to Cozumel with us just to see if they would work once they were hooked up to air and started diving. The only thing that would work was the air pressure and temperature. The rest of the computer flashed 8's. I was told later that the hole that I punched was the depth indicator. I probably ruined it totally, but we couldn't get them to work anyway.

What is your feeling ?? We have new computers, but if these could be fixed for a reasonable price, it never hurt to have 2 computers.

Thanks again for your input.

Tam

In case anyone else has a similar problem, the little triangle is a vent in case the battery starts to overheat internally because there is too much current being drawn (as in a short circuit). It has no other function.

I too have an Ocean Edge Computek II dive computer and I need a new O ring for the battery access. Does anyone know the exact size that is needed or where to purchase one?
Thanks.

Toster, You seem to know about the Tekna line as well, I have been looking for a bulb to make a very nice light workable again, Any Ideas?

ecgrocho:
I too have an Ocean Edge Computek II dive computer and I need a new O ring for the battery access. Does anyone know the exact size that is needed or where to purchase one?
Thanks.

The Creed 35744 o-ring is an exact replacement. I just got a used Computek that came with a dead battery and wandered out to the garage to look for an o-ring. I have a box of them if you are still in need.

Does anyone have a manual they don't need or can scan?

derwoodwithasherwood:
Does anyone have a manual they don't need or can scan?
PM me with your email address, and I'll scan it for you this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom