Places to fill/hydro/vis tanks in Chicago?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kncaffrey

Registered
Reaction score
Hi people,

I haven't been diving in the lake since I moved to Chicago, and I plan to change that. I have most all of my gear, but my tank needs a hydro and I have no clue about the kind, location, or quality of any of the Chicago dive shops, etc. I figured this was the place to ask around. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Kevin

Oh, and I should say...in the past elsewhere I knew where the testing facility was and could take my tanks there directly and do away with the dive shop middleman (they want to concentrate on other things anyway, don't they?). If anyone knows of such a place in Chicago, it would be great to hear.

Thanks again.

KC

Kncaffrey:
Oh, and I should say...in the past elsewhere I knew where the testing facility was and could take my tanks there directly and do away with the dive shop middleman (they want to concentrate on other things anyway, don't they?). If anyone knows of such a place in Chicago, it would be great to hear.

Thanks again.

KC
DOT Authorized Retesters / Illinois:
http://hazmat.dot.gov/files/approvals/hydro/cyl_il.pdf

Shop referrals kind of depends upon where you are in Chicago (it's a biggish place) and what kind of diving you're going to be doing. Most of the shops are in the collar suburbs, my personal favorites are Scuba Systems in Skokie and Adventures in Paradise in Wheeling. They're the short list for tmx fills.

IID in Glen Ellyn just changed owners and is in the process of installing a PP blending station to do TMX fills btw.

Thanks for the link on hydro locales reefraff, I was about to ask the same question.

I recently bought 7 tanks that all needed hydrostatic testing and new valves (they were all J valves) after a few hours research, found a great place in Aurora, IL (outside of Chicago) that will do the visual/hydro for $15.51 whereas one Scuba shop quoted me $38 and one quoted me $50 (incl visual/hydo/air fill). Google Cyl-Tec. They're going to sell me new K valves/DIN by San-O-Sub for $25. I'm thrilled! I'm a bit of a geek for good deals as I do accounting (when I'm not diving or in grad school). And, no....I don't get any benefits for referring anyone and I don't work there! hahaha!

Happy diving!

DOT Authorized Retesters / Illinois:
PHMSA - Hazmat Safety Community

Shop referrals kind of depends upon where you are in Chicago (it's a biggish place) and what kind of diving you're going to be doing. Most of the shops are in the collar suburbs, my personal favorites are Scuba Systems in Skokie and Adventures in Paradise in Wheeling. They're the short list for tmx fills.

Hello, i am just following up, is there anyway you can post a new link that has the certified locations? I know this is over a year old, but the link above is actually no longer valid, it just redirects to the homepage. Does anyone have any Chicago Dealers?

Cyl-Tec is now $30 each tank for 5 tanks, way more than i wanted to spend, i was hoping i could find it for about $15 a tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom