Roatan in July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Koolaidjob

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

this is my first day on this board - looks awesome so far! I am planning on a trip to Roatan in late July with my old dive master and his class.

What do you guys know about diving Roatan in late July? I don't have many details, but I know that Utila is NOT going to be part of this trip.

Thanks!

Koolaidjob:
Hi all,

this is my first day on this board - looks awesome so far! I am planning on a trip to Roatan in late July with my old dive master and his class.

What do you guys know about diving Roatan in late July? I don't have many details, but I know that Utila is NOT going to be part of this trip.

Thanks!

Howdy! You're welcome to post an Introcution on that forum, if you'd like...?

I was at FIBR on Roatan last July. A few thunderstorms, but over all pretty nice. Love the wall diving there, and we only got blown out of one dive. Where are you staying...?

I'm also going in last part of August, so would be curious too as to the diving...
Staying at Anthonys Key Resort or something like that... I've heard it's leaning more towards a Macro (photo) site than wide angle???
Any thoughts?
thanx

I visited Roatan last July and had a wonderful time. the diving and weather were great. I really don't like all inclusives so I stayed at Arco Iris and dove with Tyll's dive shop. I was glad I made that choice. The dive shop is run by some very nice and professional people and the boats don't pack you in like a bunch of sardines. I also liked staying in the West End so that we didn't have to rent a cab or car to go out to dinner and have the ability to try all the great restaurants we read about before our visit.

You will have a wonderful time!

Suzanne
Worldwide Outreach Services

Koolaidjob:
Hi all,

Thanks!

fpoole:
I'm also going in last part of August, so would be curious too as to the diving...
Staying at Anthonys Key Resort or something like that... I've heard it's leaning more towards a Macro (photo) site than wide angle???
Any thoughts?
thanx

In August, you are in the middle of the rainy season, also known in other parts of the Caribbean as the Huricane season. AKR (or something like that) is located on the North side which is especially succeptable to Northers- heavy wave action and surf- which are most prevelant during June - Feb.

Are the Bay Islands known for macro? You could say that.

Many divers express disappointment after diving in the Bay Islands- after not having seen "the big stuff". After enough dives where you have stumbled into the big stuff, your eyes may become trained and ready enough to find the secret little stuff.

Follow the D.M.'s, get the Caribbean Humann Creature/Fish ID Books, buy yourself a 10x magnifier, find a life's pursuit.

I have maybe 1500+ dives within 150 miles of Roatan, and this last January, I found a critter that was new to me... :11: hiding in plain sight it was.

Take lots of DEET. Have fun- but do a little research on where you're headed. It will pay off.

We went to AKR last May, and I wrote a fairly detailed trip report on it. The general stuff should be aplicable to any time of year, and RoatanMan certainly knows more about the weather than I would.

Here are links to the trip report:

Part 1 deals with topside stuff:
http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=2027

Part 2 describes the dive op and dive sites:
http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=2028

Good luck and hope you enjoy it!

AggieDiver

Great responses, thanx much all...

Roatanman, thanx for the info, sounds like you're living down there now... paradise...??
I'm figuring the weather is going to be rough as it's in the "Rough Season" but shooting macro, might not be so bad... thanx for the info, it did refresh the fact that the time of the year will affect the trip...

Aggie, the links are coming up UTL 404 when clicked.. not sure if its the underline link.. I tried to search s=2027, but no luck... if you can copy and past the complete link or use the Link vB code that might work... thanx...

Ok, working now, thanx much...

Try the links again...I revised them and they worked for me...but they are still showing up with the dots in the text...let me know if they still arent working.

Really enjoyed the reviews, felt like I was there going through the day-to-day operations.. Curious about "Shore Diving" is there any? and if so, just grab a tank??
and what would be out there.. sand, walls, slopes....
thanx again for the reviews... I"m thinking rough water, rain, and 40-60' vis... still sounds better than Seattle... :))

fpoole:
Really enjoyed the reviews, felt like I was there going through the day-to-day operations.. Curious about "Shore Diving" is there any? and if so, just grab a tank??
and what would be out there.. sand, walls, slopes....
thanx again for the reviews... I"m thinking rough water, rain, and 40-60' vis... still sounds better than Seattle... :))

Although it is claimed by AKR, there really is very limited shore diving. When you compare it to FIBR and CCV, there is "no" shore diving off of the front at AKR.

The AKR lagoon is a macro paradise IF you have major guts and don't mind diving in the murk. The subjects are rather limited, yet specific to the environ. I always enjoy looking for the many Eels there at night. Once again- not for the squeamish or easily disoriented- it's cloudy.

Back
Top Bottom