Maui Plan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metzzz

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All! Thanks in advance for all the information you share. The site is so informative! I am new to diving - completed my OWC on my honeymoon in Cozumel in May. I LOVE it!! We are planning to go to Maui this spring and I am hoping you can help me do some planning.

Based on this message board, it sounds like Ed Robinson's and Maui Dreams are the best for us to dive with. Will I have to book the dives in advance, or can we wait and see how our schedule works out after we get there?

Any input on the best time to go to Maui in spring? Any big differences between April and May? (that is our general time frame).

Also, any lodging recommendations that would be convenient to where the dives begin? I have never been to Hawaii and just can't wait. Do you think a newbie will be able to dive the wall? I loved the wall dives in Cozumel. It sounds like I am going to have to get over my shark issue if I am going to dive in Maui!!! =-)

There have been a few posts in reference to Maui diving that I am sure you can find if you search the archives.

Anytime you go to Hawaii is a good time though, IMHO.

I was there in September and went with Lahaina Divers. I was very satisfied with their ops.

We dove the frontside of Molokini and Cathedrals 2, along with a couple of shore dives. I cannot give you advice on the Wall, simply because I have not done it personally. I would check with the dive ops you are planning on using and discuss your skill level with them though to see if it is possible.

As far as places to stay, or other info, you might want to research at: www.maui.net

I used a company out of Irvine, Ca to handle my trip and was very happy with them. They are "Hawaii4Less", and I believe their website is: www.hawaii4less.com . I don't have access to my home computer right now so I'm not sure on their site.

Good luck and enjoy

I'd try to get there in April. There should still be some humpbacks around, hearing them sing underwater is truly amazing. And maybe you'll see one (I never have) :(

The back wall of Molokini is nt like the walls of Cozumel. I think it's a pretty disappointing dive as far as walls go, although it is impressive to see the wall disappear into the blue. I have done the entire back wall at some point or another, and there really isn't a whole lot to see (excpet for maybe a pelagic swimming by). It will require a deep (i.e. 120 or so ) dive, as well as blue water safety stop skills, sometimes at a drift, since these are live boat dives. It is generally considered an advanced dive. Only you can assess your skills.

Sharks - get used to em. You want to see them. The huge majority will be white tips, who really want nothing to do with us ungainly humans.

Ed Robinson's - In April can probably book when you are there....but call in advance just to ask them. Byrd and Kim are great to dive with, and such characters.
HAve fun

Chris

I visited Maui the week of Thanksgiving in 2000 and dove with Ed Robinson's (4 dives) and Extended Horizons (3 dives).

Honestly, I felt more comfortable with Extended Horizons, but this is probably due to the fact that I only had about 15 dives under my belt at the time. I believe Ed Robinson's is probably better suited for divers with more experience.

Dives with Ed Robinson's included drift dives (front and back) at Molokini. We did see a shark hunting with a large jack during the back wall drift dive. Although I never saw them, there were also some dolphins in the area - heard their clicking throughout the dive. Also encountered some pilot whales between dives.

With Extended Horizons, I did a day trip to Lanai, which included Wash Rock and the First Cathedral. Also had the opportunity for a night dive which included just me and my dive master, Anthony. An incredible shore dive around Black Rock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom