Lake Mi H20 Temps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did some wreck dives last October at Prins Willem and the Dredge, and I believe it was 39 degress.

I wore a 7mm wetsuit, 6.5mm hood, and 7mm boots. The only thing that really bothered me was my hands. My first dive I wore tropical gloves and then borrowed a pair of heavier gloves for dive 2. Some of the other wetsuit divers decided to skip the second dive.

Personally, the cold doesn't bother me and I will definitely get some more dives in this summer in Lake Michigan.

Check out this website too
http://www.accuweather.com/adcbin/winds_maps_large?na

Your looking at high thirties right now. You either got to be part Viking like myself or use a dry suit. Make sure you got a well maintained reg too.

Jim

SwimJim:
... Make sure you got a well maintained reg too.

Jim

I got a Scuba Pro MK25/600 setup (very new)
don't have a drysuit yet...

the water temp is still about 39 degrees F so since I can only dive wet for now I'll wait til it warms up alittle...

I'm a new MI diver. I have a reasonable tollerance for the cold. I break out sweating when I put my 3mm on. Do you think I'll be fine with a 7mm suit, boots, and hood in Michigan???? Is anyone diving (now) in the area with this setup????

Thanks,

Kramer:
I'm a new MI diver. I have a reasonable tollerance for the cold. I break out sweating when I put my 3mm on. Do you think I'll be fine with a 7mm suit, boots, and hood in Michigan???? Is anyone diving (now) in the area with this setup????

Thanks,

IMHO, you will be fine for the dive. When you get out of the water after the first dive, it will be the air temp that determines how cold you will feel. If it is sunny and warm, you may feel up to a second dive. If it is cold and windy, you'll probably feel too chilled to get back in the water. For the first dive, your exposure protection will give you a good dive, though hands and feet may start to get cold.

Kramer:

Thanks,
Lots of folks dive wet all the time in Lake Michigan, although most that do have the look of a happy drunk that just found a $20 bill after they get out of the water - beet red face and hunched over, rubbing their hands together. Dry is better, but if that's not an option, don't sweat it.

Diving Lake Michigan convinced me to get drysuit. :ice:

Back
Top Bottom