Diving in Brampton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hear its scheduled for May 8th. Happy Divers is organizing it

Elevatorguy2:
Last spring a local club did a clean up of Professors Lake in the Brampton area. I was wondering if anyone knew which club this was and if and when they are holding the clean up again.
Thanks

The dive at proffesors lake in Brampton is supposed to be may8th, the shop is at happydivers.ca and it was listed on ther calender as a clean up dive.
The lake should be a great spot to dive , i used to be a lifeguard ther for several years before becoming a diver,it's an old quarry that floded and they turned it in to a recreation center and beach, there is some old heavey equipment at the bottom, and the peel police train ther fairly often.
it's got it's own web site i think it's www.professorslake.ca ???? :06:

Brian

boney:
I didn't know you could dive anywhere in Brampton...
Whats that lake like??? Anything to see???

Its a flooded quarry surrounded by houses with a recreation centre . And is the only known documented lake in canada to have a Piranha in it.

I don't think I would swim in Professor's "LAKE" if you paid me but have fun. You can catch lil' crayfish in there. Never been bit by a piranha though. They tend to not survive winters so well.

While you're at it you should see if they'll let you go in Heart Lake too! Round out a good day of bio-hazard diving.

The url is http://www.professorslake.com/index.htm I don't expect the water quality would be much different than any other smaller man made lake. Limited water turn over and lots of ducks/geese.

I too have never been bitten by a Piranha, even when I've had my hands inside their tank to clean it. The "viscious" piranha is another Hollywood fiction. The only thing I've ever seen a piranha bite is another fish (including other piranha). They do not strip cattle, etc crossing rivers, the only cow they'll strip is the dead one that's been floating a while. I've spoken with people who collect wild fish for the aquarium hobby, who have waded and swam in rivers full of them and I've seen their photos of kids swimming and playing in those same rivers. I will agree that they'd have a rough go of a Canadian winter though.

I e-mailed the rec center there enquiring about the water quality and if it is checked for safety for swimming. Apaarantly the city monitors the water quality continuously through the summer. From what ive been told so far, diving is only permitted for a specific purpose like the cleanup that will be happening on May 8 through Happy Divers Den in Brampton. It seems that any other diving is not permitted here. I am not really sure why....yet. The depth is about 50 feet and if its clean it could be a potential site for OW checkouts. Need to dig a little deeper!

SoScuba:
From what ive been told so far, diving is only permitted for a specific purpose like the cleanup that will be happening on May 8 through Happy Divers Den in Brampton.

Hmm. I think we need to start a Koi preservation and research project. After all the study of the Koi is...err...critical to the health of Professor's Lake...umm..yah.

SoScuba:
It seems that any other diving is not permitted here. I am not really sure why....yet. The depth is about 50 feet and if its clean it could be a potential site for OW checkouts. Need to dig a little deeper!

Im willing to bet its the same official excuse as to why you cant swim outside the swimming zone. Lawsuits or the fear of them. Ever since the kid sued the city for not having a big enough fence to stop him from riding his dirtbike where he wasnt supposed to be, Brampton errs very much on side of caution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom