Bouyancy / skills course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

samsp

Registered
Reaction score
I am wondering if anybody has experience with bouyancy / skills courses in the PNW. I am pretty new to diving here, having got hooked in warm water but knowing to dive more regularly, I would need to dive here, I took a drysuit class and have been discovering Northwest diving, its very different from the carribean.

Anyway I know I need to work on my bouyancy, I think I'm over weighted, and need some better finning techniques etc. Is this what is covered in a bouyancy course? In some ways I like the sound of the DIR/F, in that it focuses on basic skills, but I'm not wanting to change from a recreational setup, nor do I have aspirations for technical diving. Is such a course run in the Seattle/Eastside and has anybody personal experience with them?

I suspect time and experience will help, but its also useful to have somebody point out what your doing wrong and point in the right direction.

Sam

I highly recommend taking DIRF. It will require changing some of your gear around, but IMO they're good changes. There's nothing like a bp/wing and long hose setup.

I promise you that DIRF will improve your skills like nothing else. It's not about technical diving, it's about becoming a better diver and moving to a new level in skills. It sounds like DIRF is the class you're looking for.

jonnythan:
I highly recommend taking DIRF. It will require changing some of your gear around, but IMO they're good changes. There's nothing like a bp/wing and long hose setup.

I promise you that DIRF will improve your skills like nothing else. It's not about technical diving, it's about becoming a better diver and moving to a new level in skills. It sounds like DIRF is the class you're looking for.

I'm happy with my non Hogarthian gear configuration. In this case its the diver that needs the changing - not the equipment. I understand the philosophy behind the DIR route, but its not one I'm ready to embark on at this stage. I really just want to improve my bouyancy so I can:
* carry less weight
* not have to worry so much about venting from my suit when ascending
* gently float down to the bottom so I can look into the crack under the rock for the octopus without:
o silting the place up
o having all the air go to my feet
o having to use my hands to reverse in a funky attempt at emulating pecoral fins
* navigate between the artificial reefs we have here without giving the anenome a hard time.

Sam

samsp:
* carry less weight
* gently float down to the bottom so I can look into the crack under the rock for the octopus without:
o silting the place up
o having to use my hands to reverse in a funky attempt at emulating pecoral fins
* navigate between the artificial reefs we have here without giving the anenome a hard time.

Sam
All of these things are taught in DIR-F or if you find a very experienced instructor from a different agency he/she should be able to fix your problems- maybe not in a particular course but with a little one on one instruction. Some of your problems may be your gear, some may be technique usually I find when teaching students its a mix of both.

samsp:
I really just want to improve my bouyancy so I can:
* carry less weight
o silting the place up
Despite that you say you are not ready, I'll say ditto to what jonnythan said.

Meanwhile - In your drysuit class you were probably taught to use your DS for buoyancy. Instead, give this a try - Use your BC for buoyancy and only put enough gas in your suit as you descend to keep the squeeze off and stay warm. Just remember to vent both as you ascend. You also need to anticipate needing to vent the DS as it takes a bit longer for the gas to migrate to the dump valve.

Rather than take a canned buoyancy class, you may consider finding a couple of regular buddies who are more experienced and are willing to give you pointers. Other than that - dive, dive, dive...

I agree with Snowbear. Find some experienced folks to dive with and dive, dive, dive. In my case, I found myself dropping weight once my skills improved -- thereby requiring less air in my DS/BC. Courses can be helpful, but practice makes the skills. I'm told that DIR-f is an excellent class. I've not taken it yet, but I dive with folks who have and they all have rock solid technique. I do dive a BP/wing and find it much better than the traditional vest style BC. Hope this helps!

Bill Ferrell

if you are having a problem with air in your feet, you are overweighted. lf you need to add air into your bc, you are overweighted. lt doesn't require any more than enough air to stop the squeeze if you are properly weighted...you should float at the surface with full lungs, and as your breath is let out, you should begin to sink. Give it a try.

samsp:
I really just want to improve my bouyancy so I can:
* carry less weight
o silting the place up

So you want to progress in diving skills in general? What level of cert do you have? I would suggest you seek out an instructor that you trust/admire/have a comfort level with and enroll in a private AOW class with your list there as your agreed upon expectations of the outcome in addition to the agency standard for dives to X number of feet (deep), or diving at dusk (night), etc.

And I would think about Rescue Diver certification, if you're going to get more comfortable in the water you're going to have to go diving often. The more often you're diving the more your chances (which are infinitely small in the first place, granted) of witnessing or being involved in an incident that could endanger the lives of yourself or your companions.

A private to semi-private AOW class with your wish list openly dicsussed and agreed to by an instructor of your liking, before money changes hands should assist you in your pursuit of better diving. I know some instructors in your area if you're looking for referrals, I'll PM you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom