Nautical Archaeology Society training in Ontario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
As some of you may know wrecks are fasinating to dive on. Have you ever desired to have a bit more information on them - sure you can do the research and get the details of their sinking. But I'm talking about finding out the archaeology aspects - how the ship was built, how the wreck sank, how to map a wreck. The Nautical Archaeology Society (NAS) NAS provides training to provide you with this kind of information (and more).

If anyone is interested in attending these courses, drop me a line and I'll provide more details.

NAS I
Goderich, May 3, 4, and 5
Ottawa, May 31, June 1 and 2
Hamilton, June 14, 15 and 16
Windsor, July 12, 13 and 14
Ottawa, September 13, 14 and 15

NAS II
Ottawa, November 15, 16 and 17

I did this course last year. Had a blast and learned alot.

Highly recommended!

(Now when I kick up the silt around the wreck, I can claim that I'm doing archeological excavation :hehe: )

Do they let you keep all the neat artifacts you find? Or do they tell you to leave them for others (themselves) ?

Originally posted by Conch
Do they let you keep all the neat artifacts you find? Or do they tell you to leave them for others (themselves) ?

It is illegal for a diver to retrieve artefacts from any site up here in Ontario. This actually applies to any wreck, but it's especially true if you were on an archeological site. The other provinces have similar laws, so before you take, be aware you could end up with a fine or jail time (and people have).

Much like taking artefacts from an above water archeological site (such as a site concerning the first nations or the peoples who first immigrated here back in the 1600's), the site and it's artefacts are protected by law.

Originally posted by Conch

In sweden any wreak under 100 years old have a owner and older than 100 years old the state owns it.

You may apply for salvage rights but all things you salvage goes to the museum.

the only divers who are allowed to take artifacts without this salvage right is the swedish gov rescuse divers who by automation have the salvage rights on any ship over 100 years old (and some other) and who leaves it to the museums for preservation.

the only time you are alowed to take anything from a ship is when you own the wreak. IE when you have bought it.
there are some who are willing to sell wreaks to you. if you want to check out that possibility then talk to the insurance companies.
if you find a wreak get to know who owns it then ask to buy it. then you can salvage anything you want on that wreack, its yours. but remember that if you own a wreak you might be responsible too.
(for what I wouldnt know but there are probably something they can sue you for.) (that is so strange that someone can spill coffe on their personal parts then blame someone else and get right to X millins of $, in sweden noone would have thought of the idea. if you wanna spill it there do that but dont blame someone else !)

dive safe

Sounds interesting, Would be great for murky waters of the Great Lakes. Saltwater tends to eat away the character.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom