Nikon Coolpix 5000 - HELP !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aeolus

Reaction score
Let me say that probably a lot of my problems are operator induced. When I tested the setup prior to the trip, everything seemed to work just fine. I recently returned from a 9 day trip to Belize with my new camera setup. I have a Nikon Coolpix 5000 with an Ikelite housing and a DS-50 strobe. I recorded about 175 pictures - none of which would I consider good. I was attempting to use it in the idiot mode (Auto), since I thought that I could qualify (apparently not). About 1/3 of the time is all that the strobe activated and when it did, the light produced was too much. Therefore, all of the rest turned out with too much blue, or not enough red, if you prefer. As far as I can tell, there is not any settings or adjustments on the DS-50 to change anything. I am going to try installing the diffuser in the hope that it will reduce the amouint of light to a better level. Perhaps 30 or more times the camera did not go off at all. I believe that this may have been due to the "type" of rubber boot on the lever for the shutter release. I think that it was hitting the edge of the shield for the shutter release. I believe that I have a solution for that, but any suggestions are more than welcome. The batteries in the camera did not seem to last as long as I would have thought (about 50-60 pictures), especially since I turned the monitor off during times of inactivity. Speaking of the monitor, it was rather difficult to see through the housing and in the light at depth. It was almost impossible to see at or near the surface. Sorry for the rambling post, but I need some assistance. Thanks.

I feel for ya! Unfortunately I know nothing about any part of your setup. Hopefully someone will come along to help.

I appreciate the replies; it will at least give me a starting point. I had been told that I could use the camera in Auto mode, but it looks like that may not be a valid option after all. It is very frustrating to have this much trouble with a setup on the dive trip, especially after investing that much money into it. I feel like the rep at Ikelite (do not recall his name) gave me some wrong info to start. If I had it to do over again, I do not think that I would go that way - much too expensive. I am wondering if I will need a slave sensor or not - yet more expense. I was hoping to use it in the TTL mode.

Back
Top Bottom