Mares X-Vision self adjusting strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I just purchased a Mares X-vision mask. When I pull on the strap to tighten it, it seems to "slip/loosen" when I am underwater. The dive shop said that this is a feature of the Mares mask and the strap was designed to slip until it thinks it is tight enough on your face. Is this true, or do I just have a bad strap that will not hold?

GiordanoTA:
I just purchased a Mares X-vision mask. When I pull on the strap to tighten it, it seems to "slip/loosen" when I am underwater. The dive shop said that this is a feature of the Mares mask and the strap was designed to slip until it thinks it is tight enough on your face. Is this true, or do I just have a bad strap that will not hold?

Just get rid of the standard strap and put on one of the neoprene straps with buckles... that will never slip and easier to adjust underwater.

scubatoys:
Just get rid of the standard strap and put on one of the neoprene straps with buckles... that will never slip and easier to adjust underwater.
I gotta agree with Larry. After some discussion on a similar thread when this very mask strap was recommended I purchased one from ScubaToys. Quite frankly I could do with out the advertising on the neoprene part, :11ztongue but the strap is EXCELLENT! Easy to adjust and fits very nicely with no slippage and feels very comfortable under the water.

I honestly never even tried the rubber strap in my x-vision. I got home and put my neo strap on it before even trying the mask out.

neoprene strap with buckles? Mine is just velcro on either end , so I pull it through where the normal strap would go and velcro it on. Never have to adjust it again.

GiordanoTA:
The dive shop said that this is a feature of the Mares mask and the strap was designed to slip until it thinks it is tight enough on your face. ?

The mask "thinks"? If the strap isn't staying adjusted within the the range of the little ridges on it, the something is wrong.
Under water the mask should stay on without a strap.

ABQdiver:
I gotta agree with Larry. After some discussion on a similar thread when this very mask strap was recommended I purchased one from ScubaToys. Quite frankly I could do with out the advertising on the neoprene part, :11ztongue but the strap is EXCELLENT! Easy to adjust and fits very nicely with no slippage and feels very comfortable under the water.

It's really a $20 strap - but we give you a $10 advertising commission! And all the straps are double sided - so if you want a black strap with no advertising - order a red - our logo will be on the red side, and the black side will be blank. Or yellow/blue, pink/purple.

I've never experienced this problem with mine.

As rj indicated, one of the sides could be pulled too tight, with the other not in position for the ridges to grab.

I like the adjustable strap, it's easy to put on and then cinch to the perfect tension.

I bought an X-Vision a few months ago (after surrendering my previous mask to the sea gods), and I haven't had any issue like you describe. There's nothing in the product description on their website about being designed to slip. Be sure the strap is evenly threaded on both sides and not cinched down so tight that it's over-tensioned, and that the buckles are working properly and not defective in some way.

Kevin

Here's another diver who does not have a strap slip problem with the Mares X-Vision.

All the best, James

Same here, no problem, but i like the Neo ones, afreind of mine has one and swears by it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom