Fitness Members Only: Week 4/30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Good luck everyone! Plan what you eat..eat what you plan!

Amazing! In one refresh I see a new journal! Fantastic!

Well, here's some insight I've gained as to how much water weight I've actually got. Wednesday and today (Friday) I did a pre and post weigh in at the gym. Wed I cranked in at 224# pre, 221# post workout. Today, 220# pre, 217# post. What does this mean to me? It means that I may have to take the numbers of every few weeks to see the acutal weight gain and loss on average because of the varience of 3# over a 1 hour work out! :) 96oz of water a day keeps you well hydrated eh!? :)

Have ya'll noticed the different ways the men and women are going about weight loss? :D The men have all reported their weights, body fat percentages, weight before and after workouts, analyzing the numbers down to the ounce! The daily numbers are fretted over and new excercise or food plans made daily. The women report the amount lost, never their weight (I ain't tellin'). We'll report our trips to the gym or our excercise but don't worry about how many calories were burned while there. We're just proud we did it! The results at the end of the week is what we're looking at, not the daily experience.

Nothing wrong with either, I just find the differences very interesting!

Very interesting measurment of water weight. The losses though during exercise should be replenished. The rule of thumb that most fitness experts have shared with me is to rehydrate with 8 0z. of water for every 20 minutes of exercise. This should be in addition to the 64oz taken in daily.
That is a lot of water each day for some people, especially those who workout more than one time a day.

Today, I did drink my water and replace that from my exercise. I also, have monitored my meals. I planned them out ahead and stuck with it!

Looking forward to a good weekend! I am going to start planning now. Will check back tommorrow.

Planning has been a very important key for me. As divers, our mantra is "Plan your dive and dive your plan." Why shouldn't we carry that over to our lives? "Plan your life and live your plan." Every night before going to sleep, I plan out/pack my meals for the following day (ok, sometimes I pack as I'm heading out the door too). When I finish one weight training session, I plan the next one. I think that if I wouldn't be doing all of this, I wouldn't have lasted 4 weeks. When we dive, we plan where we're going, what we're doing, what we're breathing... Why not plan how we're going to exercise or what foods we're putting into our bodies? Just my 2psi...

Keep at it everyone, we absolutely can and must do this.

-Frank

I only report the weight because it puts into perspective how much I've got to work with. I'm doing a body fat percentage next week because it will be interesting to know where I stand overall. Something to note though, I don't expect to be below 200# at my leanest, and I'm only 5'5" tall. So you can kind of see how much a little change can make for me :) My wife says i'm the dwarf from LOTR minus the beard! :lol:

She's also taken up challenge. In the last 6 weeks she's dropped 17# and not shy to say shes gone from 220 to 203. Her leanest, when we got married, was 175 at 5'7" and she was pretty solid all the way around. She, like I am, is strong and stocky built... we make a great hiking and canoeing team!!!

Guys....I think it's great that you plan things so thoroughly. Planning is very important to any weight loss, I make the same kind of daily plans. I point I was making is the different ways in which men and women report things. We're all after the same goal!

Ok the weekends are so hard for me eating wise. I usually do good to ok as far as breakfast and lunch goes, but dinner is hard especially when dad is always smoking great bbq every weekend.

Anyway after having a nice evening meal I had to hit the gym for my almost daily swim. Well tonight I went from swimming 1/2 mile to doing a mile swim in about 50 minutes. I started my swimming program on Sunday struggling to finish a 1/4 mile, and now I'm doing a mile. Thing is in tonight's swim the hardest part for me was between the 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile mark. After that point I had no problems.

Dee:
Have ya'll noticed the different ways the men and women are going about weight loss? :D The men have all reported their weights, body fat percentages, weight before and after workouts, analyzing the numbers down to the ounce! The daily numbers are fretted over and new excercise or food plans made daily. The women report the amount lost, never their weight (I ain't tellin'). We'll report our trips to the gym or our excercise but don't worry about how many calories were burned while there. We're just proud we did it! The results at the end of the week is what we're looking at, not the daily experience.

Nothing wrong with either, I just find the differences very interesting!

I didn't notice that until you said something but you are right. I know I give more details just because it will help me to stay honest, both here and to myself. Also, relating what I have done and the results gives me a chance to evaluate what is effective for me, something that I probably wouldn't do otherwise. Hopefully someone else will get something out of it even if it is only a small bit of motivation.

After reading about others weight fluctuations I have decided that daily weighing is not the way to go. My earlier 2# loss was gone this morning even though I am only eating about 1500 calories a day and riding the stationary bike for about 13 miles a day. Some of that could be muscle growth, some could be water, some could be normal fluctuation.. Any way about it, looking at the scales and seeing a 2# gain is discouraging. Knowing that it is probably temporary helps though. I know I have been working hard at this and not 'cheating'. I have 30 more pounds to go and I will be a chick magnet again :wink: Ok, OK.. Maybe not a chick magnet, but I will be 45 pounds lighter than when I started :dance:
The only problem with that is my BCD and wet suit will not fit. Oh well. Weighing 200# again will be worth the cost and I can use my 7mil as an extra layer OVER a new 3mil since I will be losing all of this insulation. :sprite10:

Anyway, Keep it up everyone.
Joe

Sideband:
...The only problem with that is my BCD and wet suit will not fit. Oh well. Weighing 200# again will be worth the cost and I can use my 7mil as an extra layer OVER a new 3mil since I will be losing all of this insulation. :sprite10:

Joe...it's a nice problem to have, isn't it? :wink: I've had to adjust the webbing on my BP/wing twice in the last few months and adjust the weight I need to use. I hate to think I may have to quit using my steel tanks but I'm using no weights now in freshwater. As I lose more weight, I'll be overweighted with them. Guess I need to check out those new neutral tanks, huh?

Keep up the good work!

Back
Top Bottom