Diving around Switzerland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nomoreno

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need some advice. I will be in Geneva for about 10 weeks for an internship. Thus, I would like to explore around for some diving during the weekend. Do you have any recommendations for any dive trip can be done within two or three days around Geneva? I heard that in Italy and in France there are some good dive sites. Are they far way from Geneva?

I appreciate your information.

Ever heard of the Geneva lake? You can practically dive every day.

Are you joking or your are serious...

I heard that there is not much to see in Geneva lake ...

Arnaud:
Ever heard of the Geneva lake? You can practically dive every day.

I am serious. I know plenty of people who dive there. I'm not saying it's the best spot in the world, but it beats a frozen quarry hands down. And it's right there. No driving for hours.

If you want the Med, I can't talk about Italy. For France, it'll be about 4-5 hours to reach the sea, assuming no traffic (i.e. not on a Friday evening). You'll find some good spots between Marseilles and Monaco. When are you going?

I will be there from mid-May till the end of July.

Arnaud:
I am serious. I know plenty of people who dive there. I'm not saying it's the best spot in the world, but it beats a frozen quarry hands down. And it's right there. No driving for hours.

If you want the Med, I can't talk about Italy. For France, it'll be about 4-5 hours to reach the sea, assuming no traffic (i.e. not on a Friday evening). You'll find some good spots between Marseilles and Monaco. When are you going?

google for the wreck of the "Hirondelle"
Also there are nice spots in lake "Thun" and "Vierwaldstätter" lake.
If you are into cave-diving, like Thun also has a interesting cave.
You can run weekend trips to Italy or France and dive there.
Switzerland is very diver-friendly...

Hope you have fun

Michael (Germany)

there are many spots in the geneva lake, see my other reply on the geneva lake diving. Geneva lake is the deepest lake in western europe 372meters deep, and has quite a few things to see, all depends on the season, the depth and the type of dive you want to do... it's full of it.

else you have annecy lake in france, lac du bourget still in france, or the mountain lakes all around. For the med from geneva count 4hrs of train or 5-6 hrs by car... you'll get down to marseille, toulon, hyères, montpellier... many dives in the med and quite a few wrecks... but beware... wrecks are rarely seen above 45-50m...

there are incredible river dives too, not around geneva, but in lake of neuchatel too, you should love it:)

if you're looking for a buddy to dive, just contact me, i'm in france just across the border, and i'm sure i can get a dive somewhere in hermance (many little things to see, 3 small wrecks, a pedalo, a letterbox, a moped, indoor cycling bike... and a few fish... when we are lucky :D)

nomoreno:
Are you joking or your are serious...

I heard that there is not much to see in Geneva lake ...

It all depends on what you call "not much"...

Circling the castle of Chillon
Diving the wreck of the "Hirondelle" (sunk around 1860)
Spectacular walls around Rivaz
... and much more
But better have adequate thermal protection!

See http://www.plongee-passion.ch for detailed descriptions (in French) of dive stes in the lakes of Geneva and Annecy (30 min drive). Lots of pictures too.

I was intrigued with the site - some good descriptions but the frames leave a bit to be desired. The Hirondelle (paddlesteamer in English BTW) looks worth a dive.
What is the visibility like in Leman/Geneva ??

For us it means a drive through the Mont Blanc tunnel at about €30 so is it worth it?

Chris

I wish I have heard from you sooner, as I am in Geneva right now and did not bring any of my gears with me...

milkathecow:
there are many spots in the geneva lake, see my other reply on the geneva lake diving. Geneva lake is the deepest lake in western europe 372meters deep, and has quite a few things to see, all depends on the season, the depth and the type of dive you want to do... it's full of it.

else you have annecy lake in france, lac du bourget still in france, or the mountain lakes all around. For the med from geneva count 4hrs of train or 5-6 hrs by car... you'll get down to marseille, toulon, hyères, montpellier... many dives in the med and quite a few wrecks... but beware... wrecks are rarely seen above 45-50m...

there are incredible river dives too, not around geneva, but in lake of neuchatel too, you should love it:)

if you're looking for a buddy to dive, just contact me, i'm in france just across the border, and i'm sure i can get a dive somewhere in hermance (many little things to see, 3 small wrecks, a pedalo, a letterbox, a moped, indoor cycling bike... and a few fish... when we are lucky :D)

Back
Top Bottom