Trip report: Barkley Sound B.C.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I just returned from a wonderful dive trip to Barkley Sound, B.C. All the dives were within recreational limits with great viz and cold water. Nothing astounding in the way of marine life that we don’t see regularly in Puget Sound but still it was a blast.

Our group of ten were all experienced divers… not a rototiller in the bunch. Not only that, they were all great people and we had a good time together.

Barkley Sound is on the West Coast of Vancouver Island and it is a 2.5 hour boat ride from Port Alberni down the inlet to get to this remote location. Power for the lodge is propane fired generator. The lodge is an A frame that sits on rock blasted out of the cliff face.

Diving was great but I was a bit disappointed at not getting to dive the wreck of the Vanlene, which was supposed to be a part of the trip. A friend and I had spent 5-days camping/diving out there 15 years ago and we had found the Vanlene through some sketchy descriptions… basically: “She hit the reef south of Austin Island.” I have always wanted to go back and do it right since those previous dives were solo on air with an AL80.

Unfortunately the dive operation had recently been sold and the new owner was not familiar with the site yet so did not feel comfortable taking us there. He assured me that the next time we come up it will be on his list.

Still, the Vanlene not withstanding, we all had a great time together and the diving was fantastic.

The first day my buddy and I logged almost 4 and a half hours of bottom time and almost 10 hours bottom time for the trip!

Day one:
101'max 70min
102'max 68min
66'max 73min
67'max 53min
Day two:
96'max 70 min
92'max 71 min
93'max 47min
Day three:
123'max 71min
114'max 70min

Treasures found:
Several fishing lures including a very large lead halibut lure.
12# downrigger ball
one Mares Volo fin (@123')

Uncle Pug:
Still, the Vanlene not withstanding, we all had a great time together and the diving was fantastic.
I was also bummed that we didn't get to see the Vanlene, especially with how the vis was below 60 fsw. I also noticed that there was not as much life as there was when I went last year, perhaps it was a seasonal thing? The diving was fantastic regardless as UP said and this group was definitely a fun group, with four of us repeats from the trip I was on last year.

One cool thing I noticed looking through my dive logs; the first dive in Barkley Sound last year was my 62nd dive. The last dive this year in Barkley Sound was my 162nd dive. Looks like I need to dive more! :wink:

I am looking forward to next year, especially getting the opportunity to dive the Vanlene. I could not recommend the diving in Barkley Sound higher, it's definitely worth the trip!

Buddy Killer

Uncle Pug:
to get to this remote location. Power for the lodge is propane fired generator. The lodge is an A frame that sits on rock blasted out of the cliff face.

Rendevous?

kalvyn:
That's the place!

Jimmie

Glad you had a good time. The diving sucked when I was there, vis was lousy, weather was lousy. The lodge, scenery and food was outstanding though. Sorry to hear they changed hands.

The new owners, Peter and Kathy, will do a good job. There is a lot of catch up to do and improvements that they want to make as well. One thing that will be really nice is the projected installation of a nitrox fill station!

Uncle Pug:
The new owners, Peter and Kathy, will do a good job. There is a lot of catch up to do and improvements that they want to make as well. One thing that will be really nice is the projected installation of a nitrox fill station!

They still have the same boat? Sounds like you were diving doubles and I don't think the one that was there would take them. Been awhile thought...

Uncle Pug:
No doubles this trip.

Sounds like a great trip! Looks like i will not be able to dive for awhile. I fell up some stairs last Friday night at my house and broke my left wrist. It will be in a cast for awhile! :dance:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom