Going on the Aqua Cat in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pbr

Registered
Reaction score
My son (13) and I are taking the Aqua Cat cruise in the beginning of July.

I've never been on a live aboard and this is my son's first dive trip. Any helpful hints from those who have been on the Aqua Cat?

Or, how about some helpfull hints regarding live-aboards in general?

Can't wait to go, I hope the weather cooperates.

have two sons myself (age 16 and 13) but hesitate to take them along on a liveaboard.
i have the feeling that they are to young and will get bored on such a trip.
more kids are mostlikely not on board. they have to entertain themselfs for the whole trip.

i will wait a few years to take them to the red sea.

swisstrav

swisstrav:
have two sons myself (age 16 and 13) but hesitate to take them along on a liveaboard.
i have the feeling that they are to young and will get bored on such a trip.
more kids are mostlikely not on board. they have to entertain themselfs for the whole trip.

i will wait a few years to take them to the red sea.

swisstrav

Thanks swisstrav and I worry about this as well. I realize that he won't want to dive as much as I will so, I intend to make every effort to do all of the other things Aqua Cat has to offer.

@pbr thanks for the link.

makes me think of packing rightaway. just make sure to take along what ever your boy likes. books, game boy, disc/mp3 player and lots of sunprotection. have fun.

that makes me think of organizing livaboards especially for parents with kits. would be great to have a ship full of teens of different nationalities.

to bad, date will not workout for us. school vacations start here mid july (5weeks). planning on a trip mid october either red sea or bonaire

enjoy your trip with your boy.

swisstrav:
@pbr thanks for the link.

makes me think of packing rightaway. just make sure to take along what ever your boy likes. books, game boy, disc/mp3 player and lots of sunprotection. have fun.

that makes me think of organizing livaboards especially for parents with kits. would be great to have a ship full of teens of different nationalities.

to bad, date will not workout for us. school vacations start here mid july (5weeks). planning on a trip mid october either red sea or bonaire

enjoy your trip with your boy.

Great ideas swisstrav! Yes, I think we will need to bring many things to occupy his time. That said, the Aqua Cat is a pretty nice venue for a teen to spend a week!

Specific liveaboard trips for parents with teen divers, what a terrific idea!! Keep me in mind if you put something together as having people their own age to mingle with would definely help with the boredom factor (it also means the adults could slip off and do some of the more advanced dives!).

I have considered the Explorer II to Saba with my kids, but decided to wait until they were at least 16 to attempt.

Too many doubts about how much the trip would be enjoyed.

pbr:
My son (13) and I are taking the Aqua Cat cruise in the beginning of July.

I've never been on a live aboard and this is my son's first dive trip. Any helpful hints from those who have been on the Aqua Cat?

I envy you yet feel sorry for you. Once you've experienced liveaboard diving, you're sunk, you're spoiled, you'll just want more, more, more. I'm going to contact you in August for a trip report because I too am looking at the Aqua Cat for a trip. I've done all the Aggressors a few times in the Carib, and I'm looking for a little changeup. You and your son have a great time diving. Some of my greatest memories and closest times with my son were diving trips.

Barracuda2

Barracuda2:
I envy you yet feel sorry for you. Once you've experienced liveaboard diving, you're sunk, you're spoiled, you'll just want more, more, more. I'm going to contact you in August for a trip report because I too am looking at the Aqua Cat for a trip. I've done all the Aggressors a few times in the Carib, and I'm looking for a little changeup. You and your son have a great time diving. Some of my greatest memories and closest times with my son were diving trips.

Barracuda2

Thanks Barracuda. Feel free to contact me at any time for a trip report.

Deputy, I too worry that he might be too young to really appreciate the Aqua Cat. So, I'm planning to make sure to do all of the off boat stuff as much as he wants. Hopefully the first couple of dives will be great and he will want to get wet as often as I will.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom