diving the Mackenzie or GB Church

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jormax

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have dove both ships off the Nautilus Explorer, but would like to go again in my boat. If I remember correctly, the Mackenzie is in a site where current is an issue, but the Church can be dove just about any time. Does anyone have more accurate information? Also, if you go there just to dive, do you have to do the US Customs thing coming out?

jormax:
I have dove both ships off the Nautilus Explorer, but would like to go again in my boat. If I remember correctly, the Mackenzie is in a site where current is an issue, but the Church can be dove just about any time. Does anyone have more accurate information? Also, if you go there just to dive, do you have to do the US Customs thing coming out?
Yes, most people dive the Mackenzie on slack and don't care too much about current tables on the Church. I don't know if currents could get strong enough to be a problem during a large tidal exchange on the G.B. Church. The visibility is not as great on these ships as on some of the others in B.C. , but there is lots of life to make up for it. Try the port (left) side of the bow on the Mackenzie. It's covered in plumose anemones. I like the bridge area on the Church. -Again, lots of plumose anemones. Take a look at my website below for info and pics on these and other local sites. Oh, by the way, I have no idea about the customs issue.

swankenstein:
Yes, most people dive the Mackenzie on slack and don't care too much about current tables on the Church. I don't know if currents could get strong enough to be a problem during a large tidal exchange on the G.B. Church. The visibility is not as great on these ships as on some of the others in B.C. , but there is lots of life to make up for it. Try the port (left) side of the bow on the Mackenzie. It's covered in plumose anemones. I like the bridge area on the Church. -Again, lots of plumose anemones. Take a look at my website below for info and pics on these and other local sites. Oh, by the way, I have no idea about the customs issue.

Nice web site. It's rare to get photos of what's under the surface, usually all you get is a description. I hope you expand it to other dive sites possibly outside of the Victoria area.

I haven't dove the Mackenzie but hear that current is an issue. The CB Church was memorable. It was my first wreck so I will never forget it. I dove at slack so can't comment on current. The pilot house is easy to penetrate.

deepdiverbc:
Nice web site. It's rare to get photos of what's under the surface, usually all you get is a description. I hope you expand it to other dive sites possibly outside of the Victoria area.

I haven't dove the Mackenzie but hear that current is an issue. The CB Church was memorable. It was my first wreck so I will never forget it. I dove at slack so can't comment on current. The pilot house is easy to penetrate.
Thanks for the comments on the website. I'm hoping to do a bunch of camping/shore diving trips to the Gulf Islands this summer and will no doubt have some new dive sites posted after that. I dove the G.B Church recently after not being there for a year or so and found that it's not so easy to penetrate the bridge anymore. -There are plumose anemones completely covering the windows and one of the doors. The other door was partially free, so I swam inside and it was pretty surreal because it was dark in there with a soft light filtering through the anemones.

Hey Swankenstein ... thanks for the web site.

I'll be up there in a couple weeks. This'll be my second trip to Victoria, but the first was only to dive Ogden Pt. breakwater. This trip we'll be doing Race Rocks, 10-mile Point, GB Church, and McKenzie.

Seeing your pics was great for the anticipation level ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

swankenstein:
We made the dive on the Church after a 1 hour 15 minute run from Skyline marina in Anacortes. Great dive. We stopped in Roche harbor afterwards. Customs wanted passports or DL's and ORIGINAL birthcertificates. We did not have the proper ID and were held up for 2 1/2 hours. My daugher had nothing, my son had a fishing license. One in our group had an ID that expired 4 years ago. If you go, be sure to take the proper documents. Customs are not warm and fuzzy people. Call me a dumbass, as I knew that traveling out of the country required ID, but for some reason, all 10 of us spaced it.

We spent a week up in Sidney in early July. Did a bunch of great dives and I actually preferred all of those huge walls outside of Sidney to the wrecks. The wrecks were awesome though.

Definitely gotta do the Mackenzie on slack but not the GB Church. We had good vis the whole time we were there.

Regarding the customs deal. We had to check in every time we came back to Sidney Marina! And we also checked in when we came back through the San Juans. The customs agent was a real nice guy but he said they definitely don't mess around anymore and don't forget all of your paperwork.

Searun

If you are taking your boat from the San Juans to the dive sites in Canada, and don't step foot on Canadian ground your OK. But once your on their soil better take all the ID.

-SS

Back
Top Bottom