Nikonos is going away

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Jewell

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm sure by now that most of you that have been involved in underwater photography have heard that Nikon is stopping the production of the Nikonos camera due to lack of sales. I believe this is that final year of production.

If Nikon develops another generation of Nikonos in the future, do you think the next one will be completely digital? This seems to be where all photography is headed. It seems the next logical move for Nikon if they want to remain in the uw photogaphy market.

If a digital Nikonos is in our future, I just hope that it will accept all of the current Nikonos lenses (15mm, 35mm 28mm, etc).

Ed :goofy:

Originally posted by Ed Jewell
If a digital Nikonos is in our future, I just hope that it will accept all of the current Nikonos lenses (15mm, 35mm 28mm, etc).

Ho, ho, ho. Surely you jest! If they come out with a digital camera, bet you a beer your (and my) old lenses will NOT be compatable.
:jester:

I read somewhere this week that they have actually made their last batch of 3,000 - very sad.

I think the problem stems from Japan where the digital camera has completely taken over, in particular Olympus with their Camedia series have really cornered the maket though Sony do make a housing for the P1 and P5.

I was diving last weekend and could not believe the number of cameras on show - just goes to show when the Japanese do something they really go for it. It was a bit bizarre though as I only wanted to take photos from land as it was the most boring site underwater I have been to. As I was training I did not have my camera with me.

Jonathan

One good thing is that used im seeing a lot of sellers of used nikonos. really a good time to haggle with the price. nothing to loose. [except when u found out it was flooded!]

Hello,

Actually I think different. I forsee a 'wet camera' in the near future. A camera that does not require a housing or pressure proofing.

Accessories will still be made for awhile.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom