Jet Fins are good...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zslnk

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,
Tried the jet fins for the first time tonight in the pool, they are too heavy for diving without a wet/dry suit (anything that makes you light in the feet/legs) but man do they swim nice. I was using a pair that are small enough for a 10 year old girl but I could really move.

Anyone want some GIANT(this is the size) Aqua Lung blades? I'm going to trade these for some Jets or Turtles ASAP!!! I'm assuming that with my drysuit when I stop swimming I will be able to maintain horizontial attitude, in the pool the fins sank me to a standing position...

Craig,

Scubapro has Twin Jets..they come in different colors..so they are actually designed from Postively Bouyant (Yellow) to Negatively Bouyant (Black).. You will have a difficult time sinking feet first in any pool with Yellow.

armyscuba:
Scubapro has Twin Jets..they come in different colors

True, but these actually suck. They are split fins and therefore designed only to flutter kick and dont have the push of real jet fins. Not to mention they are alot more expensive.

I think jet fins are best for all diving. I've tried a couple other types of fins including some split fins. Don't like any of the other fins. With my jets, I can swim fast with out even trying and slow is even better. And, you can hardly wear them out. Although I did see a pair that finally wore out. They were at least 25 years old.

DennisW:
I think jet fins are best for all diving. I've tried a couple other types of fins including some split fins. Don't like any of the other fins. With my jets, I can swim fast with out even trying and slow is even better. And, you can hardly wear them out. Although I did see a pair that finally wore out. They were at least 25 years old.

I dove with an veteran DM in Coz that used a pair about that old. One fin had a bite taken out of it (I think he said by a barracuda). He wouldn't trade them for anything!

Turtle fins are of the same variety. This is sort of a dive secret...market tries to sell us on the new mousetrap, when the old fashioned ones are probably the best design there is. I wount be trading my jet fins, turtle fins, gorilla fins for this years model any time soon.

DennisW:

Mine are that old and still going strong. Had to replace the straps a few times (yes, I know, get springs) but original fins and buckles are darn near indestructable.

I do find them a bit heavy for free diving and use Oceanic Caribes for that. If you dive in conditions that are warm enough to skip the booties, try the full foot Caribes. They are really wonderful.

Aloha, iG

I bought my Dacor XT-1000's in 1981 and they are still going strong. They are kind of like Jet Fins but full foot.

Anyone know if the material, or flex, of this fin has changed over the years. I want to try these out, and a friend has some older models. I'm wondering if these will give me a good feel for what the current Jet Fin has to offer.

thanks,
Randy

I am usinfg the SP split fins (black) as a new dry suit diver and am having a hell of a time converting from my mares quatros. I really love my mares. I guess I have to remember to flutter more and push less like with the mares. Totally dif. feel! Any suggestions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom