Cressi Rondine A VS. Mares Volo, Any Thoughts??

Fins?

• Cressi Rondine A

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Mares Volo

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redbear

Registered
Reaction score
I have recently changed over to a drysuit and though I love my TUSA xoom's they are too small to comfortably fit over my rock boots. I also need to gain some speed, the Xooms are comfortable for fun diving, but as an active DM and going through IDC in 2 months, I need something new. I can't decide between these two fins. THANKS in advance for all of you advise and help!

My vote is for the Mares Volos. I do find them to have good thrust on them but the biggest plus is the buckling system. They are really easy to get on & off and the boot pocket is well designed & roomy for drysuit boots. If you go Volo, go for the newer "power" model.

I do like Cressi-sub products more they are well designed and I think that they are more confort in extreme conditions like in strong currents (more thrust with same effort). But actually I have been using Technisub stratus for a very long time and they are doing fine with me. I tried the Stratus in many conditions. For me they are the best.

In our family we have Mares Volo, Dacor Panther (same style as Volo with hinge in the middle, same Patent) and Avanti Quattro. Just for the record the buckles for the Volo and the Panther are now identical since Dacor got together with Mares.
Basically we find that the hinged fins are more efficient at low to medium finning speeds, cause less cramps and less air consumption.
BUT in an emergency, the thrust & speed is just not there.
In one situation where I had had to fin really hard to tow an almost unconscious diver away from waves breaking on some rocks, the fins just hinged to 90 degrees and I didn't go anywhere.
When I looked at the fins after the event they had formed white stress lines right across on the line of the hinges. They didn't crack or break and I am sure I will still be using them for a lot of dives, but I now know their limitations.

I can only reinforce what has already been said, The volos, idealy the new power model are great for recreational diving in warm water, but in a drysuit the quattros are far better. But they require more effort but the result is worth it.

I dive volos in warm water and quattros with a drysuit in cold water. only my 2 cents

Volos without question. Don't remember the buckle system on the Cressi's as I only used them once in a pool. Mares are very easy to adapt DIY spring heels. Ease of entry exit is well worth the minimul price of admission.

I'm using the Cressi Rondine A open heeled fins for about a year now and I'm quite happy with them. They seem to be quite popular, last week on the boat 6 people were wearing them.

I have several sets of fins, but use the Rondines for all my drysuit recreational diving. They are very comfortable and flexible enough to avoid cramps, but also have the power to go against current, tow tired divers, or swim out with dive flag and anchor to set up for class.

Often when diving wet I'll wear my rock boots over wetsuit boots so that I can still use my Rondines when working with students (too large to fit my wet boots). I use the L/XL Rondines with size 10 rock boots, and although the straps and buckles are excellent, I adapted a pair of Manta spring straps to them. I wear size M fins with wet boots.

theskull

Another question: A friend, who has been in the dive industry for 10 years, said that she thought that the volos were good, but that they wore out.

"When I looked at the fins after the event they had formed white stress lines right across on the line of the hinges. They didn't crack or break and I am sure I will still be using them for a lot of dives, but I now know their limitations." - miketsp

Sorry, hit the post reply button before I was done.

Anyway, has anyone else heard this?

miketsp, did yours loose power or responsiveness?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom