• QUATTROS

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Both

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 7 14.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Aright guys in the blue corner we have the champion ... first and original diving fin ... DAAAAAA Jetsssssss. Fighting out of the red corner we have the challanger MARES QUAAAATRROOOSSSSS

Here we go guys round one ... TING TING TING!

this isnt fair they both have there place for general diving the Quattros.
but for confined and tech diving I say the Jets both have there place .

If you are going GUE/DIR then you want to choose Jets just to fit in.

Meds got it right as far as I am concerned. I own both, have dove both and which is better is a matter of dive type. The jets give more control and do a better job on some kicks, backing up, they are a lot better. For straight on kicks like the flutter the Mares preform better for me. A lot of this is more preference than anyything else.

pipedope:
If you are going GUE/DIR then you want to choose Jets just to fit in.

it's not about "fitting in".. it about doing a backup kick, which is very hard to do in Mares fins... Jets are much better for all types of kicks, where Mares are limitted to only certain types.

however, if anyone wants to buy my Tech Black Quadros (slize Regular), I'll sell them really cheap.

I am not sure what all this obsession with backing up comes from. I find it generally more comfortable to swim forwards.

OTOH......... the best fins I ever had for backing up were a pair of full foot cressi free frogs. Damn, I could overtake resort divers in reverse with those things.

For tec and cave, I use a super light weight Jet made by Fallaron. I bought them secind hand when I was 14 and only had to change the strap once (over 20 years diving). I am thinking about putting spring straps on them if I can find any tho.

Quattros have a funny little flick that causes drag when swimming really slowly in my experience.

cancun mark:
I am not sure what all this obsession with backing up comes from. I find it generally more comfortable to swim forwards.

you're kidding right?

ever since I've been even remotely capable of doing a backup kick, I find it an invaluable tool, and I can't even imagine how I was diving without it. it has so many uses during photography, during deco, during OOA gas sharing, etc...

VTernovski:
you're kidding right?

Of course Im kidding, however I have found that only about one diver in a thousand or more can do this without looking like a frog having a convulsion. Most instructors cant do it.

This means by default that most divers get by without this skill quite comfortably. Which is curious when it seems to be such a trendy thing to be able to do or talk about.

Personally, I find it a very useful skill too.

during Deco I fall off of the stage. :eyebrow:

Just did my DIRF - day one in Quattro's and day two in Jet's.

As a matter of all around better fin control, maneuverability and comfort the Jets are the big winner here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom