Portland, Oregon in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ann Marie

be happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am headed up to Portland Oregon for 3 days in August for a family renunion. My hubby is going to play in a golf tournament one day so I figure fair is fair and want to dive. :eyebrow:

Since my time is limited, can anyone suggest somewhere close by that is a must?

Thanks!

I forgot to mention, and before someone else does, I plan to dive on the 7th so that I have the necessary time in before my flight home the night of the 8th. :10:

You might check out Clear Lake, Its a little bit of a drive from Portland, but it's said to be one of the top dives in the country because of the amazing viz

Ann Marie:
I forgot to mention, and before someone else does, I plan to dive on the 7th so that I have the necessary time in before my flight home the night of the 8th. :10:

Hmm.. There is a Nice lake up close to Estacada about 30 minutes outside Portland, If you do not mind a 1.5 hour drive, you can get to the Oregon Coast. Geribaldi has been used as a dive site. My shop is going to be diving from there on Memorial Day weekend. (I have never been there personally) If you don't mind a 2.5 hour drive, a trip up too Washington is worth it. Sund Rock, and Octopus hole are easy and rewarding dives. You might even be able to talk someone into driving you up there. There are quite a bit of us divers in Portland who make weekly commutes up into that area.

Are you available to dive on Friday August 6th? If so, I would love to go with you up to either Hood Canel or Puget Sound to do a couple of dives.

There is a post already about Octopus Hole. I just dove that yesterday and saw some of the most beautiful Jelly Fish I have ever seen. Check out my post on Memorial Day at Octopus Hole. There are some good pics. Also, check out my web page at www.rakworld.com and click on scuba photo link to view all my dive pics.

rakjar:
Are you available to dive on Friday August 6th? If so, I would love to go with you up to either Hood Canel or Puget Sound to do a couple of dives.

There is a post already about Octopus Hole. I just dove that yesterday and saw some of the most beautiful Jelly Fish I have ever seen. Check out my post on Memorial Day at Octopus Hole. There are some good pics. Also, check out my web page at www.rakworld.com and click on scuba photo link to view all my dive pics.

Cool pictures! I get my first underwater camera tomorrow (c-5060)!!!! We fly in on Friday and don't arrive until about 11 am. Thanks for the offer though! If you ever get down to Southern Ca and want to go diving, let me know!!

The Oregon coast has some good diving but I would recommend that you go with someone that can guide you since the currents can get going pretty well. The Puget Sound around Tacoma and Seattle are well worth the drive as wells as Hood Canal. There are some nice lake dives but they are a fair drive from Portland. Garibaldi would be the closest but the entries there are rocky and you have to hit the tides just right.

Scott

Ann Marie:
I am headed up to Portland Oregon for 3 days in August for a family renunion. My hubby is going to play in a golf tournament one day so I figure fair is fair and want to dive. :eyebrow:

Since my time is limited, can anyone suggest somewhere close by that is a must?

Thanks!

I am in Portland and would offer the following suggestions.

1. If you want a must (shore) dive in Oregon, it would be Clear Lake. Cold (45deg), 100ft vis, but not much to see except tree stumps, an occasional trout, and lava. The clear water alone makes this a must.

2. If you want an easy salt water dive in Oregon, Netarts is the best bet. About 1 1/2 hour drive, 30ft max depth, 10ft+ vis if your lucky, lots of nudibranchs, maybe a lingcod, lots of juvenile greenlings, crabs, etc.

3. If you have the time, (a full day) a trip up to Puget Sound is in order. Traveling from Oregon, I would recommend Sund Rock in Hood Canal. About a 2.5 hour drive. If you know what to look for, you are almost assured to find a Giant Pacific Octopus and Wolf Eels.

If you want a buddy and drive to any of these spots let me know, I'm always ready to head out for a day of diving!

SteveB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom