Maui / Lana'i diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erich

Contributor
Reaction score
We will be in Maui the second week in Feb. We want to dive Cathedrals I & II off of Lana'i, which good dive operators go there and who do you recommend? I was looking first at Lahina Divers for Lana'i, but read lots of bad feedback. Will be doing a dive or two with Mike Severens out of Kihei and the rest will be shore dives. Thirty dollars gets you a 10 fill card and a free tank rental. Sure can't beat that here in Illinois! Any and all recommendations for operators or shore tips would be appreciated.

we went in june 99. and used Lahina divers for eveything.
I was skeptical at first but they were ok. They were safety minded but they want full boats.

we went to the Cathedrals also but the water was too rough and missed that. The heat of mid-day heats the area betweem Maui and Lana'i and the winds pick up to make it rough.

Expect surg and rough water.

One day we went to moloki creator Its protected some what from the wind and wave action, saw dolphins, white tip, scorpion fish and octopus.

Hope you enjoy the trip.

Ron T

erich,

I dove with Lahaina Divers this past September and had no problems. we did 2 dives at Molokini on one day and the next day we went to Lanai and did Cathedrals 2 and Fish rock.

The boat had around 18 divers on it if I'm not mistaken. They had 3 DMs (guides) that they broke the divers up into groups. They basically took people with the same level of experience and grouped them together. If there was a drawback it was the bottom time. They tell you what your tim will be down and max depth. However, towards the end of the dive the DM will check your air and if you have not sucked it up as quickly as other people then he/she will let you stay down longer on the reef. I was able to stay down about 10 minutes longer on each dive, as did some other divers.

Lahaina Divers may not be the best you hear about but I was happy with them and definitely will use them again when I return.

As far as shorediving there are books you can get off the internet or you can go to some websites, I believe one of them is www.shorediving.com and obtain info from there. A lot of the ops over there will also have that information for you.

Enjoy your trip.

Some folks are probably tired of me saying this... but... on Maui, for shore diving, instruction, gear rental and air... my favorite is Maui Dreams Dive Co. They are located in Kihei and they're great.

I'll be on Maui from Feb 1 to February 10 and am planning to do some boat dives with Ed Robinson -- I haven't tried them yet, but they certainly do get a lot of positive press. I'll be doing Lanai Cathedrals with them, and then they also have a 3 tank advanced dive.

I'll report back!

Liz

I agree that Maui Dreams are great people. I certified with them and my wife did a pre-cert discover dive with them that got her hooked and consequently certed back in dark cold Illinois waters!
We planned on doing our first shore dive with them as a guided dive. After that we will go off on our own. If we only shore dive in generally populated areas(ex. Kam 3, Ulua) I think we should be OK. Being newer divers I do not want to strech our abilities.

Any general shore diving tips would be welcomed.

Erich --

Ask the Maui Dreams folks to show you White Rock --- it is a site that has a similar layout to Ulua -- nice sandy beach -- bordered by a reef that extends from shore on out... you and your wife can add that to your repertoire.

My other favorite site is Ahihi --- but that requires a bit more complex navigation.

Have fun!

Liz

Hi,
we went to Maui last summer and dove with both Lahaina DIvers and Hawaiin Rafting Adventures. Lahaina divers was expensive, not very "personal" and big slow boats. We personally fell in love with Hawaiin Rafting Adventures (on Front St, near Mala Ramp). They were recommened to me from my instructor when I got certified there. Awesome! Small groups, fast fast boat (RAIV), and very knowledgable staff. Maya, the DM was great and watched me very closely as I was nervous on my first real dive.

Their website may not be as flashy as others but they really are great and very responsible. ALong the way from The Cathedrals to another Lanai dive site, we stopped alongside a pod of spinner dolphins and got out of the boat with our snorkel gear and swam right along side them for about 15 minutes. One of the most memorable experiences in my life!

http://www.maui.net/~hra/index.html

Dived several times with them - personalized service, great DMs, great sites that not all operators go to. Hear they are similar to Severns, haven't dived with them. Leave from Kihei like Severns.

Have "heard" bad things re: Lahaina Divers, but no experience.

Might also want to go with Maui Dive Shop to Lanai from Maaalea Harbor, closest boat trip.

BTW, not strictly enforced but there is a dive flag law in Maui for shore diving. Just be aware.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom