Hawaii diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griswoldstahl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a business trip to Oahu from June 10-21 and would like to get some diving in, while I'm there. Anyone have any contacts or suggestions while I'm there for diving?

Griswoldstahl:
I have a business trip to Oahu from June 10-21 and would like to get some diving in, while I'm there. Anyone have any contacts or suggestions while I'm there for diving?
Aloha!
You can get in touch with me. We can get you on the boat in nothing flat.
Aloha,
Lisa

Griswoldstahl:

Dive operators abound here - I dive mostly with Island Divers - and to a lesser extent, Ocean Concepts. Most of my dives are boat dives, but the time of year you'll be here is prime North Shore shore diving. If you have an opportunity to do some shore dives, I would definitely try to squeeze those in.

What type of diving are you interested in? Most boat dives will do a wreck dive first and a reef second. Lots of different wreck sites to choose from - most off the south and east shore, which is close to Waikiki (if that's where you're staying).

I'm going to be right on Waikiki at the Sheraton.

I personally like reef dives, as I like to shoot lots of pix and usually run out of film before using 1/4 of my tank, LOL. Wish I could reload film underwater!!

I'll probably get a car too, so shore dives are possible. What sort of gear does one need in Hawaii, as I'm used to Belize diving (shorts and a T-shirt only for me there)? I'm thinking of not bringing my scuba gear and just renting, as long as there are good quality dive shops for rentals.??

Griswoldstahl:
I'm going to be right on Waikiki at the Sheraton.

I personally like reef dives, as I like to shoot lots of pix and usually run out of film before using 1/4 of my tank, LOL. Wish I could reload film underwater!!

I'll probably get a car too, so shore dives are possible. What sort of gear does one need in Hawaii, as I'm used to Belize diving (shorts and a T-shirt only for me there)? I'm thinking of not bringing my scuba gear and just renting, as long as there are good quality dive shops for rentals.??

if you want to do some shore diving, we dive almost every weekend. see in sea is a good shop, and talk to leesa she has the hookups with one of the dive boats. they run a good operation there and i have enjoyed my dives with them.

I'm heading to Hawaii too for the first time and can't wait!

I'll be arriving at Honolulu on the 26th of May and am really looking forward to diving atleast a couple of days while I'm there. I'll be staying just North of Honolulu, near the airbase, and am hoping to find a local dive shop that's headed towards some interesting spots. I've never been to Hawaii either so hopefully I'll get some good dives in.

I'm renting an aircraft while I'm there to fly the family around the islands too, and will post those photo's here on the board when I get back. There are some pics here already from Dutch Springs, Pennsylvania if you'd like to see what us folks in the Northeast dive in the Winter Months!

Thanks for any advice on the local diving there in Hawaii.

jjgibo:
if you want to do some shore diving, we dive almost every weekend. see in sea is a good shop, and talk to leesa she has the hookups with one of the dive boats. they run a good operation there and i have enjoyed my dives with them.
Thanks JJ :"> Sorry we couldn't hook up the other day...I hope we can before you go.
Aloha,
Lisa

DawgPaddle:
I'm heading to Hawaii too for the first time and can't wait!

I'll be arriving at Honolulu on the 26th of May and am really looking forward to diving atleast a couple of days while I'm there. I'll be staying just North of Honolulu, near the airbase, and am hoping to find a local dive shop that's headed towards some interesting spots. I've never been to Hawaii either so hopefully I'll get some good dives in.

I'm renting an aircraft while I'm there to fly the family around the islands too, and will post those photo's here on the board when I get back. There are some pics here already from Dutch Springs, Pennsylvania if you'd like to see what us folks in the Northeast dive in the Winter Months!

Thanks for any advice on the local diving there in Hawaii.

Near which AF Base will you be staying? Bellows or Dillingham?

I just looked at the map and it's actually a Marine Base named Kaneohe Bay. I guess there is a city or town there as well, outside the base. The base itself lays on the Northeast corner of the island and about 11 miles Northeast of Honolulu.

I've read that your a photographer and although I don't know the bits and pieces you have in your signature block, it sounds like nice gear; perhaps you wouldn't mind recommending a satisfactory camera to rent while I'm there as well for the underwater adventures.

I Can't Wait!

Griswoldstahl:

If you have not found a dive shop yet, please feel free to visit Island Divers Hawaii, or contact them at 808-423-8222 or info@islanddivershawaii.com. They run the dive shop at Hickam AFB and have daily boat charters all around the island at reasonable prices. Although they are on the military base physically, they are able to do hotel pick ups in Waikiki or Honolulu and take you to the dive sites with all equipment provided. There are many dive shops on O'ahu, but I don't think any provides the variety of dive locations that IDH does, and if you dive multiple days with them they'll provide you with a discount!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom