Mask cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebomb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Simple question....what do ya use? I just have a bit of film that's built up.

Thanks, Beck

The best stuff ever made for masks is Trident Mask Cleaner. Comes in a little white bottle that last forever.

In lieu of that, toothpaste. Not the gel stuff.

I use toothpaste all of the time. After I clean it with that, I smear a little Johnson & Johnson's baby shampoo in there and let it dry. With a quick rinse right before you jump in the water, you should be clean and fog free for about 10 dives.

christopher1260:
I use toothpaste all of the time. After I clean it with that, I smear a little Johnson & Johnson's baby shampoo in there and let it dry. With a quick rinse right before you jump in the water, you should be clean and fog free for about 10 dives.

I agree. Just bear in mind that it might take a couple of "scrubs" with the toothpaste to get all the film off the inside of the mask lenses. Basically, they should be "squeaky clean" before you apply the baby shampoo.

BTW, easy on the shampoo. You only need a couple of drops of it to smear around on the inside to keep the lenses fog-free.

DSDO,

if you can take your mask apart, you can get it like new. clean the glass with a tooth brush and toothpaste, clean the silicone with liquid soap. The grime on the silicone is often a build up of suncream and body oils, which is why those cockroaches love to eat masks so much.

I'd clean my mask...but I'd really miss the symbiotic relationship going on it with all of those little creatures!!

I've just got to train them wipe the lenses free of fog on the occasion that it happens...heh.

cancun mark:
if you can take your mask apart, you can get it like new. clean the glass with a tooth brush and toothpaste, clean the silicone with liquid soap. The grime on the silicone is often a build up of suncream and body oils, which is why those cockroaches love to eat masks so much.

Whoah! Take it apart?? Silicone is soft and tends to tear VERY easily. Also, it's more than likely that if you take it apart, you will not be able to the lenses to seat/seal as they did originally, leading to leaks.

While I agree that the silicone needs to be cleaned as well as the lenses themselves, IMHO it doesn't require taking the mask apart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom