Ocean Master Z4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hi there -
Does anyone have any thoughts on this mask? I want to get prescription lenses for a mask and I have found a place in San Diego that does them. They will fit lenses to any mask - but as I live in Japan I'm thinking to get a new mask from them and let them customize that one. They sell Ocean Masters - but I don't know them. This mask comes with a purge valve - are they any use? Or are they just a gimmick? I'd love to hear your views!

KimLeece:
This mask comes with a purge valve - are they any use? Or are they just a gimmick? I'd love to hear your views!

I used to dive with one of these but switched to their (I thing it’s called) Z3. The Z3 is a little lower profile. I think the purge valve is pretty useful. While you can certainly dive all you life without the purge valve, it is kind of nice to do small purges with a little face down puff through your nose.

Randy

I use the their Z2 mask. I don't really use the purge much, but it doesn't bother me either. My dive buddy has the same mask and she uses the purge valve all the time.

I tried the Z4, but the extra windows are pretty distorted (you see about 5 feet behind you when underwater instead of directly sideways), and the Z2 is lower volume and easier to clear. The Z2 felt a little more secure on my face too, though that may not be the case with you. I like the Ocean Master masks a great deal. I tried some others with larger lenses and they just didn't fit as well. Also, the straps are very nice and the masks are quite sturdy.

raposarose:
I use the their Z2 mask. I don't really use the purge much, but it doesn't bother me either. My dive buddy has the same mask and she uses the purge valve all the time.

I tried the Z4, but the extra windows are pretty distorted (you see about 5 feet behind you when underwater instead of directly sideways), and the Z2 is lower volume and easier to clear. The Z2 felt a little more secure on my face too, though that may not be the case with you. I like the Ocean Master masks a great deal. I tried some others with larger lenses and they just didn't fit as well. Also, the straps are very nice and the masks are quite sturdy.

Do all of their masks have the q-strap thing? I have one that does, but I don't know if that holds true for all their masks. Personally, I don't like that the mask has a 'special' strap. It's one more thing to carry that can't be replaced easily in a foreign country. There are lots of masks that can be used with standard corrective lenses. IMHO, there are better masks out there than the Ocean Master ones. I'd consider something from Tilos or ScubaMax. Great prices, good quality, and nothing proprietary...

Yes, they all have the q-strap. I like it but certainly not everyone will. PurduEE has good advice, if you go to another country with that mask you should get a replacement strap beforehand. I guess the bottom line is get what fits your face and can accomodate your corrective lenses. The Ocean Master fit mine better than all the others I tried in the water, but if one of the others fits you better then go for that.

I use the z4 and like it. As for the purge valve, I like it since I have a mustache and get a bit of water during a dive. I do like the strap and don't see any problem with having the right strap in your save a dive kit. It doesn't weigh but a few ounces.

I have both Z3 and Z4. The Z3 fits me better and get more use. I like the purge feature and have a spare strap kit. The straps are more than the normal price (I think I paid $15 for the spare strap and parts). Make sure that you rinse the purge valve after being in salt water or the crystals can cause the valve to leak.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom