us divers regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rabbitears

Reaction score
i have just purchased a used us divers conshelf 21..can anyone tell me how good they are i couldnt pass it up as i only paid 50 for it..it came with a sherwood first stage and a us divers pivot gauges as well with a compass and a sherwood octopus..any help would be apreciated..thanks in advance

I dont want to piss you off or anything but a dive buddy of mine bought a aqua lung(US Divers) regulator and it almost cost him his life 2 times.. Freeflowed at about 90 feet in a quarry.. Then it froze shut as in not giving air at all on his 2nd dive with it.. I have heard bad things about the us divers regs so I avoid them like the plauge.. Thus the name USeless Diver..

Shut off?
Please explain how that could happen, and which model it was. Surely there was an official report on such a serious life-threatening malfunction.
Strange I haven't heard...
Rick

I will ask him what model it was..

As we discussed previously, the Sherwood is a very innovative and competent first stage. They feature a dry bleed piston mechanism which keeps water out. It is known for being freeze resistant. The manufacturer is the same company that makes many of the products sold under other names.

The plastic USD second is pretty much bulletproof. Very simple design. It features a large diaphragm and levers for good mechanical advantage and ease of inhaling. You should find that it breaths dry and purges well. Just normal maintenance, and annual inspection for any hairline cracks in the plastic.

Price sounds way cheap.

My Conshelf 14 was rock solid for year after year of active diving.

I wish I still had it.

michael

I've used the US Diver Conshelf during one of my AOW dives. I thought the 2nd stage was enormous, but I had no complaints with the way it breathed.

As with any used reg, I think you should get the reg overhauled at the LDS before you dive with it.

Rabbit, I have to say in my limited experience, The conshelf 14,20,21,SE all kick ***. Low maintenence and bullet proof. My only wish is that they had better material on the 21 second stage. You got such a good deal that you don't have to DX the sherwood 1st stage or the Octo.LOL I have dove the Conshelf 1st stage and second stage for 17 years, 5 years of that 80% blackwater for the US Army. I have had it ripped out of my mouth by tree roots in 4 knt water, twin 80's fall on it, and even slapped in my face by a 30# Grouper that just did not want to become dinner. The only reason I DX'd my Conshelf SE Octo is because my pit bull used it for a chew toy so it is not so pretty any more and When I was at the Zeagle Factory working on military gear with them they said ya wanna Air plus on that RANGER BC. Good deal get it serviced by someone you trust and it should give you years of service. :wink:
Tgreaves, No offense bro but don't blame the equipment for not being adjusted correctly. A free flow at 90ft is life threatening to a newbie who did not remember how to fix it, or grab his Octo, or ascend. The free flow could be caused by a butt load of things, dirt, and improper adjustment, being probably 99% of it. Freezing up???? If you break ice you need to winterize your gear, my 21 (still my main ) is winterized. Locking up is again an adjustment. I am not saying it didn't happen but it was Operator / Maintainer error. Or a fluke not the USD name. They Navy, Army, Air Force, and even the Marines dive USD. You think they would let a Grunt go down with something that was not bullet proof??? Remember A look every year and a rebuild every five years or as needed and you will have NO problems.
JMHO Look me up in the welcome thread to find out where I come from.

rabbitears:
i have just purchased a used us divers conshelf 21..can anyone tell me how good they are i couldnt pass it up as i only paid 50 for it..it came with a sherwood first stage and a us divers pivot gauges as well with a compass and a sherwood octopus..any help would be apreciated..thanks in advance

I've got an OLD Conshelf SE2 and I love it. It's rugged and breathes very well.
Bought it from someone on ebay, had it rebuild and for 240 bucks I have a great regulator.

Randy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom