Dungeness Crab Cooking Technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I recently found myself up in Toffino BC. Between us we got 8 crabs of 2 or more lbs ea. My technique has always been to toss them into a pot of boiling water for 18 minutes then serve.
A member in our group showed me a new way that I will do from now on, though it might seem a bit harsh.

Take a large knife (chefs knife or in this case a machete) and cut the live crabs in half length wise. Clean, then toss into boiling water for 3 minutes max and serve immediately.

These crabs were the best tasting that I have ever had. The meat was done perfectly.

The reason they probably tasted so much better... is that they were cleaned -prior- to cooking them.

What we do, and always have great results with.. is to clean the crabs while they're still alive. Just smash their shell and start scooping. Rinse throughly, and cook. 15-18 minutes is usually right.

If you don't clean them first, your crab water gets to have slimey crab guts in it, which inevitably flavors the meat.

-B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom