Diving in St. John, US VI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaleg

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, this may be a bit confusing, but basically I'm looking for advice based on other member's experiences. My wife and I are planning a 1-week trip in June to "somewhere" in the Carribean. We'll be taking advantage of a timeshare from my folks, and have found some really nice looking (in the pictures, anyway) resorts that offer all the other amenities that we're looking for.

I would appreciate any info on the quality of dive sites and dive operators in St. Johns, USVI.

Also, would be interested in how any of you might rate diving here against the Bahamas (we dove Freeport in '98) or Jamaica (Runaway Bay in '96).

Finally, any info on the beaches, restaurants, and things to do in San Pedro, Belize would also be appreciated.
Thanks,
Scuba Legs

Scubaleg,

I also have the same questions. We will be traveling July 1-10th to St.john for our honeymoon. We've looked into Lowkey Watersports, Paradise and Cruzbay watersports. Lowkey seems to have a better package and we are looking for that extra special attention since it will be our first boat dive.

I've contacted them all, and what i believe we will do is our first day go by the shops and check them out: you know, what sites they may dive, # 0f divers, boat checkout, that sort of thing and then decide on who to choose.

Must people on this board believe that's probably the best idea if we haven't been there before.

When are you going?

I don't think this helps, but when you do go, how about letting us know who you choose and your thoughts.

waterdogs.

Waterdogs,
Well, our plans are up in the air. We were planning to use my folks timeshare to get a week at the Westin in Cruz Bay -- but they have no availability for timeshare exchanges. Now we need to decide if we want to pay our own way, or try to find an exchange some where else (Bahamas or Grand Cayman most likely).

Since Cruz Bay Watersports is right there at the Westin, we were planning to check them out and use them. They do have a website http://www.cbw-stjohn.com/
Had not heard of the other two operations -- but since CBW says they've been in biz 20 years, we felt pretty comfortable. They had 6-tank and 10-tank pkgs that seemed reasonable. I agree that you should check things out if this is your first boat dives.

So, anyway, congratulations on your upcoming marriage and honeymoon. I'll keep you posted if we end up going to St John.
Regards,
Kevin

scubaleg,

We rented a villa up around cruz bay for 10 day's, during the summer it' wasn't all that bad, not the deal you guy's had, but no too bad.

Looks as though both your other choices will be great if not St.John. I've looked at CBW on the web, they are a little higher but like i said, well check them both out on the first day' and dive the second on.

Hope you guy's go, it will be our first trip to st.john, everyone say's its' great.

see ya.

waterdogs

I live on St John and took my OW with LowKey...they were okay. They are a cattle boat as is Cruz bay, they are big operations. There is another smaller one but I can't think of the name (my DH books for them through a small watersports place in Coral Bay, you can e-mail crabbys@viaccess.net). Anyhow, when I went through LowKey it wasn't to busy as it was off seasona nd the summer would be off season as well so you might not be to crowded. I haven't dove AT St. John but my parents like Tektite...BUT the dive boats don't go there they go further off island.

TJP - who would you recommend?

Maybe off season it maybe less crowded, i doubt it, but who knows. Those are the only one's i saw on the web pages for St.John, now there are plenty in St.Thomas, but we don't want the 45 minute ferry ride back and forth.

How were the dive sites in St.John for your OW?

What island do you live on?

waterdogs,

Now to remember what you wrote :p the internet connection is amoung the S-L-O-W things here. I am on St John. Low Key isn't realy my style but they were more quiet in OCtober than I imagine they are on season...also got a good locals rate for my OW. I have not used Cruz Bay Water Sports and like I said there is a guy who runs a small operation out of Cruz Bay, the town not the dive shop, and you can book with him through Crabby's Watersports in Coral Bay crabbys@viaccess.net

I go to St Thomas, it's only $3 and a 15 min ride to red hook. I use Aqua Action out of Secret Harbor, not to far from the ferry doc and probably a pretty cheap cab ride. I did my AOW and will do my Rescue there as well (that's tomorrow and Thursday!). Carl does small groups and a personal business. Check him out at http://aadivers.com/ tell him Terri sent you!

Hmmm...did I miss anything? I will probably move to St Thomas in the next 6 months...east end.

Terri

Oh...I dove Cow and Calf Rocks as well as Mingo and Congo.

With the dive place on St Thomas I reall like the wreck of the Cartanza...in 35 feet of water (free dove that when my dad dropped his snorkle) and the wall at Dive Rock on the other side of Buck Island (STT not ST Croix).
THe dives from either island tend to be similar as the places on St J go from Cruz Bay and many St T places go from east end and they are only 2 miles apart.

TJP

Thanks, TJP

Appreciate the info, I will check out both web sites to see what they offer, I guess the ferry ride to st.thomas (red hooks') is not that bad, the other ferry they said is 45minutes, (to far)

I'll keep you post and send you a heads up when we head down there the 1st of july.

thanks again,

waterdogs

TJP,
Thanks, as well, for the information. It is always better to have input from some one who's been there. Sounds like you should move to St Thomas since you're spending so much time there already! ;-)

Waterdogs,
Well, we may be back "on" for St. John. Turns out we couldn't snag a week of timeshare anywhere in the Carribean (imaging that), so we'll be paying our own way. :-(
What's the name of the villa you are staying at? Is it on the beach, or in town? Since we're paying our way, we'll probably go back to our first choice, and see how much we're willing to spend!

Regards to both of you,
Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom