Kona, May 27th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deckman

Reaction score
Hi,
I am going to Kona on the 27th of May. Can anyone recommend a good Dive Shop. I have seen the ones on the internet, just wondering if there are any hidden gems on the island.
Thanks

deckman:
Hi,
I am going to Kona on the 27th of May. Can anyone recommend a good Dive Shop. I have seen the ones on the internet, just wondering if there are any hidden gems on the island.
Thanks

I've always used Jacks Diving Locker when I go to Kona. They've got a great shop and are friendly and have access to boat charters. Be sure and dive Place of Refuge (2 Step) and the old airport if you get a chance (both shore dives) and definitely put the Manta Ray dive on your schedule!

Aloha and safe diving!

I heard that the Manta Ray dive is no more. Something about not enough places to anchor boats or something. Is that true?

IowaDiver:
I heard that the Manta Ray dive is no more. Something about not enough places to anchor boats or something. Is that true?

That's the first I've heard of that. They don't do it at the same location they used to....South of Kona......but they do still do it up North of the old airport now. I was on a group that went to do the dive back in March but we got blown out by a big storm that went through. I know our local dive shop has a trip there at the end of this month and it's on the schedule!

I just dove the Mantas last Wednesday with Big Island Divers. Great 8-pack boat with an awesome crew. We had at least a dozen different mantas show during the dive.

I also did a number of other dives with them during the week, and each one was a great experience. They also provided maps and directions to several shore dives and some fine snorkeling.

The Big Island has fantastic diving !!!!

deckman:
Hi,
Thanks

The Big Island is my favorite place to vacation. Amazing topside activities and great diving. Do not miss the manta ray night dive. I dove with Aloha Dive Company and had a great time.

I have some dive videos from the Big Island on my personal website. If you have a high speed internet connection you can download them.

http://www.ronrosa.com/ron/scuba.htm

IowaDiver:

The manta dive is beter than ever these days up off the airport. We had 7 mantas tonight (just got back) 13 a few nights ago and have upwards of a dozen or more each night for the better part of the last two months.

It's a definite must do dive.

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom