Eagle Rays!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Campana

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On Day 2 of our Cozumel trip, we wanted to go to Barracuda, and we wanted to see some Eagle Rays if possible. Barracuda is on the North end of the island, and away from the usual dive sites. It isn't as popular as others, because it tends to be deeper, and the currents are stronger. We headed out at 10 am and got ready on the boat, but stopped about five minutes (in a fast boat) away from Barracuda. We protested and Julio the DM said "He's looking for Rays" ("He" being Alex, the vidiographer).
We backrolled in, and I couldn't get down, even though I was only wearing a .5 mm suit against the 81 degree water. I soon discovered that I had weights in only one of my weight pouches. I felt a little disgusted, and surfaced from the 20' I had fought to gain, and went back up. The Captain handed me my other 5#, and I started a rapid descent to catch up, which shouldn't be a problem, with the newer divers on the boat. I could see them without any problem, and was watching them, when I saw the first Ray. He was about 6' from tip to tip of his/her beautifully mottled wings. I turned around and saw that I was in a whole squadron of the creatures (thanks for the word, Dee). They flew effortlessly, moving with the current. I hoped the other divers could see them. I passed through and headed for the others, and the rays turned to stay with me a bit. At one point, they all turned into the current and just hung there, using the current like eagles and hawks do, to remain in one place and gain or lose depth as they wanted. A smaller (4') one came out from the reef to join his fellows. Their wing motions were as graceful as anything I have ever seen. I counted 14 of the beauties, and in the video, there are at least 20 showing. We drifted with them, in the stiff current, for several hundred yards, before they gently turned out to sea and disappeared.

I wonder if the new divers realize that they may never see this sight again. It was truly one of life's moments.

Alex, of Blue Planet videos, finned like a champ in keeping up and filming the Eagle Rays. He will go on your dive with you, and have the video ready that evening with music, decent editing, and slick titles. We had already commited to buy 5 videos, his minimum, for $50 apiece. I think he sold around 10 of them at the Stadium Bar that night after we saw his work.

JEALOUS!

You are BLESSED to have seen that. It must have been awe inspiring....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom