http://www.diveheart.org/

Canadian seal pup slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

torbaydiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Thousands of seal pups are being needlessly slaughtered in Canada, you can help stop this by signing an online petition at ;

SEALS

Preferably if you have time also writing to the Canadian government, only a short letter of protest required

Honourable Paul Martin
Office of the Prime Minister
80 Wellington Street
Ottawa
Canada
ON K1A0A2

The Honourable Geoff Regan
Ministry of Fisheries and Oceans
200 Kent Street
Suite 1570
Ottawa
Canada
ONK K1A

Visit the Canadian Sealers Association's website here and learn how this consumer driven industry is properly managed.

The government's Fisheries and Oceans Canada website also has pages devoted to seals and the annual cull, as well as other reports. Go here for the Understanding Seals and Sealing In Canada web page.

Marc

From reading their website, it looks like an unusually well managed and sustainable fishery. Only 10,000 hooded seals taken a year out of population of half a million. That's roughly 2%. From the harp seals, annual take looks like something around 7%, or roughly 330,000 critters.
I took particular note of this quote:
A recent report published by the Canadian Veterinary Journal concluded 98% of harp seals are killed in what veterinarians describe as an acceptably humane manner.
That's pretty good too, certainly much better than dolphin and porpoise fisheries. So long as the purported Canadian enforcement works as advertised, from a ecological standpoint this is good stuff. Of course very few people actually think it's great to kill seals from an emotional standpoint, but this is the ecosystems and preservation forum, alas.

There's always the caveat that the link I'm getting all this info from just so happens to be run by the professional sealers. So all of this could just be wishful thinking on their part. If anyone finds a government or NGO link on this industry it would be good to compare notes.

torbaydiver:
Thousands of seal pups are being needlessly slaughtered in Canada

Understand both sides of the story before you state "needlessly slaughtered"

Also the statement that "seal pups" are being slaughtered is completely false. As quoted from the Canada Dept. of F & O:
"The seals hunted today must be independent, self-reliant animals. Although gruesome images of nursing seal pup hunting continue to be circulated around the world, in fact, the commercial hunt of nursing seal pups is banned in Canada."

I'm about to shed a tear here... so many cute little Junk Science debunkers, and I didn't even have to jump in first!

I'm touched.

Torbay - with respect, you're being seriously led astray here. The seal cull is a viable, environmentally responsible industry.

Sometimes there's just no words to describe you Aussies!

Hey I wasn't kidding.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/04/30/australia.koalas.reut/

Might be worth pointing out that they're an introduced species on the island that they're going to be culled on, previous sterilisation and relocation attempts have met with little success, and that a population explosion means that they are now starving and destroying the ecosystem there at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom