Back Wall Molokini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Mialkovsky

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
A few divers from my shop have dove Maui this spring and so far none of them have been able to do the back wall because of conditions. Last year at this time I was diving the back wall almost daily. Is the current much worse than usual this year?

I spent a week on Maui and could not get anyone to take us to the back wall all sorts of excuses, then we found a small charter I think it was called Mckenna or something like that. Small boat only four divers Capt and DM he did the dive but left us to do our own dive. A great dive.

I have only been living here for two years, but I have been told that this past winter/spring has been rougher than usual.

It's been a nasty year. Depending on when they've tried, conditions may very well have been too poor to do it.

I'd be curious if one more thing might be playing into the equation. Several months back a group of divers was lost at sea for 6 to 8 hours after they caught a wrong way current on a particularly nasty day. The coast guard has taken a different interpretation of the "extra crew for each 6 passengers" rule since then, at least they have here in Kona.

The backwall is done as a drift dive and the Coast Guard is requiring a spotter on board for those on vessles with more than 6 passengers. I'm not sure how it affects Maui, Kauai and Oahu, but here in Kona the Coast Guard will relieve Captains on certified vessels with more than 6 passengers of their license if they do not have a spotter on board. Most of the larger companies in Kona have applied for exemptions which allow them to put their crew in-water with the passengers as long as the dive is a stationary moored dive. Most of the bigger boats here are just passing on the drift dives rather than putting on (and paying for) a spotter. This rule isn't affecting the 6 pack operators as of yet.

Steve

Al Mialkovsky:
A few divers from my shop have dove Maui this spring and so far none of them have been able to do the back wall because of conditions. Last year at this time I was diving the back wall almost daily. Is the current much worse than usual this year?

Thanks for the replies. Honestly to do a charter on Maui I wouldn't be interested in paying a hundred bucks if I couldn't do the backwall. So it's partly coast guard and party conditions it appears.

We were in Maui about a month ago, and the first day out, the seas were definitely too rough. Great days for surfing, poor day for diving. The first 15' down was intense.

However, later in the week, the weather turned around and we were able to dive the back wall. Amazing dive. After reading this thread, we feel fortunate that we were able to do it this time around.

Our dive boat had a spotter, and from the first day I can see why you'd want one.

Hey all:

After riding bikes down Haleakala in pouring rain the day before, we lucked in to perfect diving weather and conditions. I believe they did have a spotter.

You can see pictures here:
http://users.erols.com/rokhed/mauidive/

Comments/suggestions welcome.

Al Mialkovsky:

Great pics seahunt. I do love that dive. Next spring we're heading over there an extended stay. I'm hoping to work a dive boat so there are lots of backwall dives.

Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures has no problem doing the backwall if the conditions permit -- they have a "spotter" on board (you could also call them a deckhand, I think).

I just got back from doing about 13 dives with them. We dove all over Molokini. The current was very strong but it made for an AWESOME drift dive. Effortless! One note: at 110 feet on "reefs end" we saw a full on school of Baby White Tip Sharks! The cooloest thing ever. It looked like a school of random fish but when we got close sure enoug, baby sharks. We also saw some pretty damn big Grey reef Sharks and we saw Full grown White Tips sleeping in their "curent proof condos"

Just Awesome! Bill is a great captain and John (long blonde hair) is one of the best dive masters I have ever dove with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom