Keweenaw Underwater Preserve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derrick

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

A group of divers from Minnesota are interested in doing recreational wreck diving in the Keweenaw Underwater Preserve this summer. None of us have dove in that area before. What are some of the "must dive" wrecks there and what charters operate in that area?

Thanks,
Derrick

Right up my alley :D. There's a few decent wrecks (mostly broken up) up there, but only two that I know if that should be hit for sure: Mesquite and the Langham.

You could spend a week of recreational diving on the Mesquite and have a blast. A technical diver could spend two weeks on it. The Langham was burnt and is an OK wreck. Most of the wrecks up there are the result of stranding, and, as a result, are broken up badly. IMHO, the only really good wreck up there is the USCGC Mesquite.

I'm not sure who has air up there anymore, but someone must have a station of some sort. Same goes with charters.

As far as wrecks go for recreational divers, you cannot beat the Staits of Mackinaw which, IMO, has the best wrecks per square mile of anywhere I have heard of or been to. The Straits is just plain awesome for old, well preserved, intact wrecks, and is one of the best kept secrets in shipwreck diving.

Take care.

Mike

Here's a link that might help you:

http://www.execpc.com/~bbaillod/links.html

Mike,

The websites off of the link you gave me are excellent. They will cause me many sleepless nights for weeks. The Mesquite looks like it will be worth the trip all by it self. Can you do the Mesquite from shore? What are typical water conditions during the summer months?

The Staits of Mackinaw sounds very tempting. I will have to try to schedule a second trip during the summer. It's only a short 530 mile dive from St. Paul. :)

Thanks,
Derrick

The Mesquite is awesome -- especially for penetration divers, but great just the same. You have to take a boat to get to it, and since it's the premier wreck of that preserve, it will be buoyed. I buoyed it one year, in fact. It's in 100' of water, so nitrox would be a great choice if you can get it up there (I kinda doubt it). The closest nitrox station (I know of) is Diver Down Scuba in Marquette (5hrs east of Hancock). There could be a decent shop up there somewhere, but I just don't know anymore. The one I knew of doesn't exist anymore.

In mid summer, the bottom temps should be 40F (possibly as low as 37F) with at least 2 thermoclines between the surface and the wreck. Surface temps might be 55-60F, and outside temps anywhere from 60-80F with variable winds and seas. Fortunately, the Mesquite and the Langham are fairly well protected from Northerly/Westerly winds. A stiff North, South, or East wind will kill the dive. Be prepared for unpredictable weather and bat-size skeeters :wink: :D.

Let me know if you go to the Straits, and I'll set you up with a great charter and lodging. Perhaps I'll join ya and show you around the wrecks too. I should go back and visit the Mesquite one of these days too.

Mike

I will definetly include you on our plans for the straits when we start making them. We probably will not start discussing them until closer to spring time.

I noticed in other of posts that you are DIR or close to it. I am taking the DIR fundmental class in Minneapolis with joelw in May. I only know of one DIR diver here, so it would be fun to dive with other DIR divers. Other than my back plate and wings I haven't changed any of my equipment yet (I got my bp & wings before I knew what DIR was).

Derrick

That's OK. All my DIRish buddies are in the Eastern Upper Penninsula. I'm all by myself here. DIR can be more of a journey than anything. I've been working on it for years know -- keep making mistakes. I'm real close as far as equipment and should be there by summers end (as close as I'll ever get anyway). It's a great system.

Consider yourself and Joelw permenantly invited.

Mike

Hey Lost Yooper

Your just the person I need to talk to.... I am planning a trip for four of five people for the Straits the weekend of August 9-11th 2002. I called the charter in detroit that runs the REC diver and one other boat. His name is Larry and he sent me a video and it was very cool... I have never dove there but two from my group has. What do you recommend for a charter? And for lodging? We have a hotel reserved for Friday night thru Sat night in St Ignace. Again what do you recommend? Also if you are available that weekend mabe you could join us. Please let me know. I talked to Jim and Pat Stayer at the ghost ship fest and he told me that he ran charters up there but didn't know if he had that weekend open. I need to find out how to get ahold of him. I think I got his buisness card at the festival but will have to look. Talk to ya soon.

Jeff Great lakes diver

Hey Jeff,

Rec Diver is a cattle boat -- a very slow cattle boat. I don't recommend them at all. I dive with Abyss Dive Charters:

http://abyssdivecharters.com/
Diveabyss@aol.com

They offer rec and tech charters and have a 6 diver limit or so. Dan and Dan (the captains) are nothing short of awesome, great guys. They're fun, accomodating, and are also divers. Both of their boats are great dive boats (one at Whitefish and one at the Straits), and they don't mess around getting to the dive sites. There's a chance that I'll be dive mastering for them this summer too. Dan asked me about it last fall, but nothing is finalized yet(maybe you could mention somethin' :wink: :D).

As for lodging, I don't know all the motels and which are the good ones and which are the great ones. This is my backyard up here, so I don't stay at the motels :). It's a tourist town, so I suspect they're all fairly decent.

Get a hold of Dan Block via that e-mail address, and tell him Mike Wood from Marquette referred you. If I'm free, I would be glad to join you guys. I can make sure you hit the good wrecks and can give you a grand tour. Is this rec or tech?

Let me know how it goes.

Mike

thelostyooper@cs.com

OK Yoop, that settles it. Even if it's just you and I, we're chartering Abyss for a trip to Mackinaw during DA UP trip.

The website blew my socks off.

I even promise NOT to use my OMS wings!:wink:

They obviously know their way around techdiving.

You on Barnacle's email list yet?

dive safe
Brock

Boy they've done a lot to their site since I was last there. By the looks of their calander, they are filling up quick too. Ya'll might want to get a hold of Dan and get something worked out ASAP.

I don't know Barnacle. Have him get a hold of me.

Take care.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom