How?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glidingray

Reaction score
I haven't seen many sea water aquaria, but the one I see here was the residence of two clown fish and some hard corals, but the hard coral is dead. I've seen another aquaria, there isn't any fish in it but there are colorful soft coral. They looked healthy. What's the living chance for corals if they are being removed from its habitat?

I don't know much about aquaria business in Indonesia but I've seen fishermen carrying jugs of water filled with tiny colorful fish in a fishing port in Jakarta. As for cultured one, I've never heard of it here. How is it done? Are they able to produce fish or just to feed a tiny one and let it grows?

This was supposed to be a reply to topic: can we protect the marine environment?

Ray

Marine fish are harder to raise than tropical freshwater fish. There are only a few species, that I know of, that do well...Damsels, Jawfish, and some of the Blennies. I've had 3 Spot Damsels and Yellowhead jawfish produce eggs/babies in my aquariums.

I've heard of fish farms in Micronesia who have had success catching juvenile angels and raising them in man made lagoons. It's a slow process but untill the natives are taught how to farm raise marine fish, and learn that it can be more profitable than catching them through cyanide or rotonone poisoning, the practice will continue. :(

Algae farming in several islands in Java is common. Only fresh water fish farm is common here.

How about coral farm? I think I read one guy here who does that, perhaps I'm wrong. Is it still on research or it's already producing? Algae is fast...but corals?

Dee, Micronesia eh? Do you know any website link I can read?

:confused: Ray :confused:

I first read about it in an aquarium magazine a year or so ago and don't remember which one.

As for corals, there is someone cultivating live rock beds in Florida. They have permits from the state with permission to plant the rocks then harvest them at a later date. Live rock is covered in algae, soft coral and usually has small critters, ie. starfish and brittlestars, fire worms, and sometimes blennies, that are released into your aquarium. They started this endeavor to the suppliers would not buy live rock from Fiji where they just go out and dessimate the living reefs for it. It's also one reason alot of marine aquarium keepers don't use live rock.

I may have a website for these guys somewhere and I'll try to find it.

I had lost his web addy, thanks. Someone on one of the aquarium boards gave it to me a while back.

Thanks

Ray

Not sure about the aqua-culture of hard corals. Soft corals, given the right water chemistry and spectrum/intensity of light will do quite well. Hard corals on the other hand... that's a good question. Most corals are actually a population of small individuals (polyps). I suppose hard corals could be seeded individually onto a suitable substrate. I'm not sure if anyone is doing that with hard corals though.

Bio guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom