what snorkel to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviolin

Registered
Reaction score
I have just finished my certification and am headed to Belize next Monday to dive and snorkel. Yes, I will snorkel due to financial constraints. Anyway, I do not own a snorkel. Please advise on what I should buy and why regarding the splash guard, etc. Thanks

jviolin:
I have just finished my certification and am headed to Belize next Monday to dive and snorkel. Yes, I will snorkel due to financial constraints. Anyway, I do not own a snorkel. Please advise on what I should buy and why regarding the splash guard, etc. Thanks

Try a Sporasub Samurai. I got mine at Divers Direct.

I believe in the KISS principle. The simpler, the better. No purge, no splash guard.

Good Luck!

Simpler is better if you take it diving with you (which you'll discover many people don't.)

If you're actually doing much snorkeling, you'd probably find you really like those "dry" snorkel features like purges and splash guards. I have a Tusa Hyperdry.

jviolin, I do a lot of freediving. I prefer a snorkel that provides the least resistance to breathing and swimming.

For me, that has been large bore, short (just a bit higher than the top of my head when in the water), and curved to fit the side of the head.

No purges, keep-drys, drains, etc. I never have a problem without these, and all it takes is a sharp puff to clear them anyway. All these gadgets have done for me is restrict my breathing.

I'm paranoid, because it's very hard to find good high performance snorkels, and it would be hard to replace my large-bore Farallon custom mouthpiece snorkel. If I had to replace it, though, I would consider the Omer Zoom Pro .

The ability to freedive well should be a skill for all divers. Generally, good freedivers are more fluid and efficent underwater as scuba divers, than those who haven't spent time learning freediving.

If you can, try before you buy.

All the best, James

I do some free diving myself-- while I agree with most of what James says-- I like have a purge at the bottom, seems like I am not able to get every drop of water out of my snorkel without one. This may sound silly, but that gargling sound scares the prey away. I use the US Divers Impulse II. Doesn’t feel constrictive to me.

When ever I go snorkeling a use a flexable plastic/rubber snorkel with a perge valve. In the NOAA Dive Manual they reccommend a plain snorkel with no ribs and valves. Quite frankly I like my perge valve at the bottom. :wink:

jviolin:

A snorkel should be simple, comfortable and easy to clear. The best I've used is the zeagle flex snorkel. Check out the ratings at www.scubadiving.com, equipment snorkels. Ratings are not everything.... but they are good place to start.

I like the Oceanmaster Dry Snorkel (Flex)

I like to snorkel so I wanted some confort so I fit one of the SeaCure mouthpieces to it.

Some may say it's overkill, but it's my snorkel and I'll do whatever I want to it.

You can pay way too much for a snorkel, i know i felt i did at $20 for a flex snorkel with all the trimmings from divers direct - it felt over priced, but is a small drop in the ocean compared to most stuff. I keep my snorkel for those rare freediving/snorkelling trips, not for actual diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom