Mask Squeeze: Need Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raj

New
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to scubaboard. I an a novice diver. I went yesterday with a group and experienced the horrible mask squeeze. I understand that it is a minor problem but I am flying tomorrow and am wondering if the pressure on the airplane during take-off or landing will effect my mask squezze symptoms or do any damage to my eyes or vision.

Any reports today would be nice, thanks.

raj

raj:
Hi, I'm new to scubaboard. I an a novice diver. I went yesterday with a group and experienced the horrible mask squeeze. I understand that it is a minor problem but I am flying tomorrow and am wondering if the pressure on the airplane during take-off or landing will effect my mask squezze symptoms or do any damage to my eyes or vision.

raj

Welcome to Scubaboard Raj....

But im not sure what you mean exactly... In terms of your mask squeeze problems, you have to remember to equalize the air space in your mask by exhaling just a touch through your nose as you descend. This should fix any discomfort you've been experiencing. Failure to equalize the air in your mask could result in serious problems with your eyes possibly being sucked out of your sockets(not totally out-i know it sounds crazy but ive seen it) as well as bursting blood vessels.

In terms of the flying, I dont see how flying could be a problem unless you have a serious injury from the mask squeeze such as a bursted blood vessel. You mite wanna talk to your DM or a doctor tho just to be on the safe side.

raj:
but I am flying tomorrow and am wondering if the pressure on the airplane during take-off or landing will effect my mask squezze symptoms or do any damage to my eyes or vision.

Any reports today would be nice, thanks.

raj

I hope you are not flying with your mask on? :wink:
If not then flying shouldn't have any impact on you in this matter.

But seriously - first of all check whether your mask size is appropriate. Maybe it's too Small for you? Second thing - as it was already written - remember to equalize pressure in your mask by blowing some air into it through your nose. doing that should solve your problem.
Enjoy the diving and welcome to the board
Mania

mania:
I hope you are not flying with your mask on? :wink:
If not then flying shouldn't have any impact on you in this matter.

You mean you aren't supposed to fly with your gear on, just in case the plane goes down over the ocean?

Can I take my Backplate off too?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom