Killer JellyFish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, it was in Queensland, Australia, and it was by an Irukandji jellyfish. Apparently this is the first recorded death from this jellyfish, which was previously thought to be non-life threatening, but known to be *excrutiatingly* painful (see description of symptoms in article), and is quite common at this time of the year (summer). Full length wetsuits and gloves are the only defence, but this isn't the usual gear for swimming, which is what the victim was doing. Queensland waters teem with all sorts of jellyfish, ranging from mild to life threatening (eg box jellyfish), and there are known seasons for each type. Any water activities during Irukandji season are usually accompanied by warnings from locals for covering up while in the water. Hamilton Island is one of the largest resorts in the Whitsundays, so this information should have been available, but again, as a swimmer, the victim was unlikely to be wearing a full exposure suit.

Condolences to the family.

Here's a link to an article: http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/2002/02/01/FFX7DZRU4XC.html

"The chances of being stung and dying are incredibly small," he said."
It may not kill you but it sounds like you wish someone would shoot you after you get stung by one of those puppies.

Jellyfish are like bees...some people are allergic and can die from one (or many) stings. Normally, I think, if a person is allergic to bee stings, they are allergic to jellyfish, even the minor ones. Could that have been the problem here?

I was in the Whitsundays about 12 months ago (got stung by a mild jelly while I was there!), but the guy at the marina where we rented our boat warned us about the Irukandji. He said he'd been stung by one many years ago, and said you felt like dying rather than putting up with the pain, it's that bad. He said nothing else could compare to it, and it lasts for several days. This guy had existing high blood pressure, and the sting brought on a cerebral haemorrhage, rather than an anaphylactic reaction, which is the usual cause of death from, say, a bee sting. See WebMD for a description of symptoms. An anaphylactic reaction causes your airways and tongue to swell shut, choking the victim, lowers your blood pressure, and your heart to race to an unbelievable rate. I've witnessed one firsthand - my father was stung by a "Jumping Ant" (also known as jumping jacks or kangaroo ants because they can hop 3 or 4 inches when they want to - no BS) on our property in NSW, and had a reaction, and had to be bundled off to intensive care for a week. His heart stopped (twice) in the ambulance, but luckily he was able to be revived (twice). Seeing as anaphylaxis reduces your blood pressure, and the jelly victim had high blood pressure to begin, it sounds like anaphylaxis wasn't a factor.

No, a paragraph from the article:

"Hamilton Island Resort spokeswoman Susan Boyd said the extremely painful sting aggravated the man's pre-existing heart condition and blood pressure, leading to a cerebral haemorrhage."

Originally posted by scubabunny
Jellyfish are like bees...some people are allergic and can die from one (or many) stings. Normally, I think, if a person is allergic to bee stings, they are allergic to jellyfish, even the minor ones. Could that have been the problem here?

He probably didnt get stung through his / her suit, mostly likely he / she was stung on exposed skin. ie he wasnt wearing gloves or or hood. Just my opinion tho.

I did see a very interesting documentary on the box jellyfish tho, it was rated the most deadly of all species. You live about 45 seceonds according to the documentary. Maybe some of you Ausies have better specifics, pls share if you do.

TMD

45 seconds is probably the fastest anyone has died from the box jellyfish - depending on the exposure. People are regularly stung without dying. I've seen heaps of photos of people in hospitals with the most wicked scarring to their legs and torsos from box jellies - they basically have to be treated like a burns victim in terms of recovery. That's in extreme cases though. Scars remain for years.

I'm not sure what the current recommendations are, but I think vinegar is still the preferred first aid. I remember seeing a guy on TV about 15-18 years ago actually have his assistant DELIBERATELY place a box jellyfish's tentacles on his forearm, to demonstrate the effectiveness of vinegar as first aid. He still screamed a lot :) Very funny TV - I thought only Americans did the stupid things (until Steve Irwin came along anyway).

Back
Top Bottom