Manta's & Whaleshars?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fkleibrink

Reaction score
We will be visiting Fiji, Tonga and Samoa in October and Australia in December, January and are looking for dive tips (especially if there is a chance to see Manta's and/or whalesharks somewhere.

Many thanks in advance!

Frank

fkleibrink:
We will be visiting Fiji, Tonga and Samoa in October and Australia in December, January and are looking for dive tips (especially if there is a chance to see Manta's and/or whalesharks somewhere.

Many thanks in advance!

Frank

Isn't the humpback whale season in Tonga ?

Coral Bay in Western Australia (Ningaloo Reef) can garuntee Manta Rays year round for snorkling. They send out a spotter plan to direct the boat to the Mantas. You can find the diving but it is not a sure thing. Whale Sharks in both Exmouth and Coral Bay Mid April to Mid June.

Humpback whales are most likely seen in Tonga during July, August & September (winter months for that area) to birth & mate.
I am heading there in August for 9 days on a diving expedition. I'll post my experience when I return.
I have been told the diving in Tonga & Samoa is wonderful!

Pam :dazzler1:

It was in April-May and I saw no whales. But I was on Va'vau and not at the main island. The island was hit in 2002 with a major cyclone and the seas were horriffic and the damage to the reefs was severe. Maybe 30-40% damage when I was there. Still plenty to see. If you get to Hunga Reef, there's this staunch little clownfish who will attack! Say hi to him from me...hahaha
Tonga is experiencing some problems with their main airline going bankrupt. Try Air Pacific if you haven't bought a ticket. I heard that they are running flights to Tonga now.

Hope you have a great trip. No need for a suit there. water temp will be above 24 deg C. In Late April it was 29 deg and I was in shorts and a tee shirt. Plenty of sharks and turtles too.

Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom