Lake Pleasant Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KazInAz

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Saturday May 29/04
Did two dives at Lake Pleasant just off of vista point.
Surface temp. was 77. Temp at 25 feet was 70.
Thermocline at 30F. We were wearing 3mm and stayed above 30ft due to the thermocline but 2 of our friends in dry suits did 75-80ft dives reporting 54 degree temps.
Visibility was btw 10-15 feet depending on dept and location.
Vis was a bit better right off the point but slightly worst around the bend away from the marina.
Lake was busy but not as bad as I expected. Shore where we was relatively quiet.

Kaz

Could you give me directions on how to get to Vista Point?

Thanks

CB

To get to vista point go toward the marina (North Ramp) and the road will Y where you can go down to where the Marina docks are or to the right (ramp and boat parking lot)--- but in the middle is a dirt road that goes up a little hill. You'll see a white/blue sign that says Vista Point with an arrow. At one spot the road goes down and almost looks like a boat ramp, park there and dive around the point to the left. This spot was taken when we went so we parked and dove by the cement picnic table. This was the first time we dove this spot but others dive there alot. We seen about 5-6 people arriving just before we were leaving that were doing I believe, Nitrox certs.

Thanks

CB

cb,
If you're ever looking for a dive buddy for lake pleasant let me know and I'll see if I can join you. I only have like 7 dives there so I don't know they area as well as some of the others. I live about 15 minutes north of the lake in Anthem.

Tony.

Tony,

Next time we head up I'll let you know.

I did go up yesterday and did three dives across from the sheriff’s dock. 1st dive we hit 55'. Vis dropped to just a few feet past 50'. Water temp was around 64 at depth but over 70 in the shallow. A 3 mill was perfect. 2nd dive was along a road edges. Vis was in the 15' range and a few places, maybe more. I don't think I ever been out there and saw as many bass, blue gill, and a few very large catfish. One was pushing the scary size. He was back in a bolder area and we couldn't see how long he was but his head had to be pushing 8" across.

We stuck around and dove the road edges after the sun went down. The blue gills were back in and under the rocks but the bigger bass were out and just seemed to stay at our lights edge. We also ran across a few more of the large catfish. It seems that the catfish come off the bottom and swim more in the open during the night.

Over all, not a bad day of lake diving.

CB

What time did you guys dive? I've never done a night dive in the lakes.

Was that at the end of desert tortoise road?

Tony.

We got to the lake around 3:30pm. Started the night dive right after the sun went down. Not dark when we went in but we're down for close to 50 minutes so it was pretty dark when we finished up.

The end of desert tortoise was wall to wall people, so we went up over the hill to the north. We dove on the road that crosses desert tortoise. We've been out there when the water was low so I have an idea where the roads go and cross others. It's a neat dive site. The shore goes out about five feet and then drops off about 15 feet deep to the road bed. Go across the rd bed and than it drops down to about 20-25'.

CB

Wednesday, June 9th.

Dive #1- Humbug cove
39 foot for 27 min. 80 degrees at surface, 73 on bottom.
visibility- 2foot max!

Dive #2- point across from boat ramp (close to vista point)
31 foot for 34 minutes 81 degrees on surface, 75 at depth.
visibility 10-15 foot.

Dived from a friend's boat today. Two short dives as we were trying to get two dives out of one tank. went to humbug cove in search of somebody's lost anchor. As soon as we dropped in I knew it was a lost cause- 0 viz. I found myself cruising around with my eyes closed dragging my fingers across the bottom cause I couldn't see a thing. On second dive, we got the idea to drop in and search around the boat ramp and dock (for stuff- we got excited on the prospect of finding lost treasures). However, as we were going to quietly slip into the water tons of people started to come to launch boats. We opted to hit a point just north of there and were blessed with pretty good viz. Saw an enormous bass! lots of bass and a catfish, lots of those small dark sunfish that seem to have some blue coloration. Fun day, I got way too much sun topside though.

FishKiller! if your reading this- we gotta hook up and dive again. Bring Zellot out to pleasant!

Tony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom