Aqua Lung Sphera - what's it like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave the diver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting an AL Sphera mask - it has a low profile and wide angle view. Problem is, the guy at the shop says some people find that it distorts your peripheral vision.

Anyone got one? Any comments?

I've never used one but if you could rent or borrow one you should do that before buying one. It could be the greatest mask ever but if it leaks then it isn't worth the trouble.

Scott

dave the diver:
I'm thinking about getting an AL Sphera mask - it has a low profile and wide angle view. Problem is, the guy at the shop says some people find that it distorts your peripheral vision.

see my post here, in this section, on the HydroOptix where I reference the mask you inquire- but by a different name.

I have the mask that you're asking about. For the price- very cool product. The distortion can be dealt with.

dave the diver:

I the instructions that come with it explain that the refractive index of the lens is different than glass and that the curved lens is not a problem like it would be with glass. I couldn't use it because the bridge of my nose hit the nose pocket but my son used it. I watched him try three times to grab a railing on a wreck we were diving because the magnification in water is different than with a glass lens. He said the railing looked further away than it was.
The lenses are softer than glass so they scratch easier but the scratches make little differnce in the water.
They look cool and are very low volume.

Thats about all I know about them.

cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom